Ensuring that your site looks good, loads fast and is easy to navigate is great. It becomes essential when users view it on the smaller screens of their mobile devices. Using a responsive WordPress theme is one way to ensure that your content adapts to those screens.
However, sometimes media stubbornly refuses to resize itself properly to fit those smaller screens. If media on your site is not resizing properly when viewing on smaller screens, you’re gonna love these responsive WordPress plugins!
Each is available free from the WordPress plugin repository, and some have premium versions with additional features. Check ‘em out and have a play with a few of them. You’re sure to find something that will fit the bill for you. If you know of other responsive WordPress plugins that are not listed here, by all means, include a link to them in the comments. Have fun!
Easy Rotator – Download | Docs & Demos
- Dozens of flexible templates included
- Create sliders of recent or featured posts
- Make any slider responsive or fixed-width
- Social icon addon also available
- Built-in touchscreen / mobile support
- Premium version with video and audio support
This is hands down the best slider plugin I’ve ever seen, and I’ll be writing a post all about it soon! The UI of this plugin is powered by Adobe Air (if it’s not already installed on your computer, the plugin will launch the install wizard for you). You can even create sliders within sliders by categorizing the images you add; tabs are added at the top of your slider so users can switch views instantly!
SlideDeck 2 – Download | Docs & Demos
- Multiple content types in the same slider
- Add images, videos, plain text or HTML, even maps
- Add multiple sliders to pages & posts
- Create dynamically updating sliders
- Free and premium versions
Now fully responsive, Slidedeck 2 enables you to add dynamically updating content to your sliders from over a dozen sources like YouTube, Twitter & Google, even RSS feeds. With 9 different slider themes and several dozen options for each, you have unparalleled customization potential. It also includes a widget, so you can add sliders to your sidebar (remember to set a custom width), or any other widget-ready area of your site.
Meteor Slides – Download | Docs & Demos
- Unlimited slideshows
- Unlimited slides
- Multiple slideshows on the same page
- Display with widget, shortcode or templatetag
- Customize individual slideshows
- Multiple language files included
- Touch support for mobile
This is one of my favorites. Once you’ve set up the general settings, you can easily override them for individual slideshows by specifying whatever metadata you need. You can customize and display multiple slideshows using shortcodes or widgets, or in any theme template. Each slideshow is automatically attributed a unique ID, so styling with CSS is a breeze too.
Soliloquy Lite – Download
- Uses custom post types
- Unlimited number of image sliders
- Drag-and-drop image uploading, sorting and saving
- Completely SEO optimized
- Responsive (with touch enabled swiping)
- Shortcode and template tags
- Media uploader button to easily insert your image slider into your posts/pages from the WYSIWYG editor.
With this freebie, you can create an infinite number of responsive image sliders with an infinite number of images in each slider with a few clicks of your mouse. Multiple sliders on the same page is not a problem either. There is also a premium version available that gets you access to a few cool addons.
WOW Slider – Download | Docs & Demo
- Multiple themes included
- Desktop wizard
- Publish to WordPress or save on your computer
- Touch-swipe support
- Compatible with all browsers and devices
- Add logo or watermark to slides
- Comes in 25 languages
This one takes a novel approach to building sliders. You create your sliders on your computer, then upload them to your WordPress install. Once uploaded, simply add a unique shortcode wherever you want a slider to display. It comes with a few uniquely cool transition effects too; check ‘em out in the demos.
- Plenty of Settings like animation, speed, etc.
- Multiple Sliders
- Slider Sorter: Order your slides using drag & drop AJAX.
- Video Slides
- Slide Links
Plus, you have the option of including sliders with template tags or shortcodes. According to the plugin developer, this is probably the best free jQuery slider/slideshow plugin for WordPress. If it does the job you need done, then you be the judge!
Cyclone Slider 2 – Download | Demos & Docs
- Uses jQuery Cycle plugin with 25+ transitions
- Easy-to-use interface with drag and drop functionality
- Multiple slideshows
- Individual slideshow settings
- Customizable templates
Along with a drag-and-drop interface, this plugin leverages the built-in features of WordPress: it uses custom post types for the slideshow, custom fields to store settings, and the media uploader for the images. You can also create your own custom slider templates, and add them to a folder in your theme so they don’t disappear when you update the plugin.
Easy Gallery Slider – Download
- Automatically display slider for every post and/or page
- Slides are created from images attached to the post/page it is displayed on (WordPress Gallery)
- Responsive slider performs the same on every platform (desktop or mobile)
- Fade or slide effects
- Navigation with buttons, “dots”, keyboard, scroll-wheel, automatic timer
- Show titles and descriptions with an overlay
- Link individual slides to any URL
- Show a “zoom” button to integrate with a Lightbox plugin
- Many options available through an easy to use admin interface
- Easy and simple deployment – just put the shortcode wherever you want and enjoy the result
- Custom post type “Slides” for creating and storing slides
- Each slide can be linked to any url
- You control the order of the slides
- Seamless integration with any WordPress theme
If all you need is a single responsive slider, this plugin is about as simple as it gets. Just add your slides and drop the shortcode anywhere you want it. Done.
Responsive Video – Download
- YouTube and Vimeo only
- Shortcode for posts, pages
- Recognizes all custom post types
- Add multiple instances of widget
- Custom title & description for any video
This plugin allows you to easily attach a single video to any post, page or custom post type with a shortcode. Or add multiple instances of the Video Widget to any sidebar(s). Both display types are fully responsive and fast loading. There is one drawback with this plugin: videos do not display in category archives. If this is important to you, it may not be your best choice.
- Multisite compatible
- Revision 3
- Funny or Die
This plugin does only one thing: it automatically resizes WordPress auto-embeds, including video and other iframes, in a responsive fashion. Simple.
- Super-simple settings page
- Embed videos with simple shortcodes
- Responsive embeds
- Max-width if you like
- 4 Different modes how to embed Videos
- Colorbox integration for thumb mode
- Make embeds float with align=right/left
This plugin currently supports embeds from the following sites: YouTube, Google Video, Metacafe, Liveleak, Myspace, Blip, CollegeHumor, Videojug, Veoh, Break, Dailymotion, Movieweb, Myvideo, Vimeo, Gametrailers, Viddler, Snotr.
- YouTube and Vimeo only
- Videos display at full-width
- Original aspect ratio maintained (no black bars)
- Caches video meta for fast loading
This uber-simple plugin has no settings page. It simply overrides the max-width for embeds in “Settings” > “Media”. One of the neatest things about it is that it fetches meta via YouTube and Vimeo APIs to ensure that videos maintain their original aspect ratio, with no black bars. And you can use the shortcode, with a bit of CSS savvy, to display selected videos in a nice grid if you like.
MarcTV Video Embed – Download
- YouTube and Vimeo
- Initially loads an image and “Play” icon
- Loads video player only after user interaction
- Set video start time
- Specify custom video title
- Google analytics events
This plugin adds “YouTube” and “Vimeo” events to Google analytics, so you can easily track user interaction on your site. It’s also the fastest one I’ve tested: it only loads the video’s default image and a play icon. The video is only loaded once it’s clicked. You can also set any video to start at a specific time, so your users can skip those annoying ads!
Video Overlayer – Download
- Brand your video content with a custom image
- Supports YouTube, Vimeo, Viddler and Screenr
- Easily enable support for other embed suppliers
A bit different than other plugins in this roundup, this one enables you to overlay an image on every video. You can use the included images, or upload your own to brand your content. The result is that not only do they become responsive, your site is much faster because the video only loads when it’s clicked.
Simple Responsive Images – Download
- Create responsive breakpoints for all images on your site
- Affects every image generated with wp_get_attachment_image
- Optionally specify a div ID or class to target
Unlike most of the plugins included here, this one does not generate sliders. Instead, it applies your custom breakpoints to all images on your WordPress site (you define the viewport widths and associated images sizes you want). All images will display according to the viewport size of the device being used to view your content. However, this plugin may not affect images that have already been uploaded; you may need to upload them again for the responsive attributes to be applied.