For those who know this little trick, it’s so useful you probably don’t even think of it as a “trick” anymore. You probably just take it for granted now.
But for those who are learning of it for the first time, like most, you’ll probably say, “Oh, cool.”
How It Works
1. First, you must make sure you’ve checked the box in your Media Settings page to allow automatic embeds.
Go to Setting > Media > (check Auto-embeds)
2. Place URL on its own line in your editor
Featured Plugin - WordPress Wiki Plugin
Control Size of Video
You can also use shortcodes with the URL to control the maximum height and width of the video (not the exact height and width, just the MAXIMUMS).
Do this by placing shortcodes such as the following around your URL:
List of Currently Supported Sites
WordPress currently supports the following sites for auto-embed:
- YouTube (“unlisted” and “private” videos will not be embedded)
- Flickr (both videos and images)
- WordPress.tv (only VideoPress-type videos)
- SmugMug (WordPress 3.0+ required)
- FunnyOrDie.com (WordPress 3.0+ required)
If you’d like more information on auto-embedding, you can check out the WordPress Embeds page.
Featured Plugin - WordPress Google Maps Plugin
Photo: Movie Number 1 from BigStock