DesktopServer is computer software that makes WordPress development on your local computer quicker, easier, and more feature-rich. Version 3.4.0 (they like to copy the WordPress Core version numbers) was released June 18, 2012, with a pleasing list of new features and bug fixes.
Get a free WPMU DEV plugin, plus free weekly tips and resources for using WordPress.
For those already using DesktopServer, notice the download page no longer has separate installation files for “new install” and “upgrade install”. Instead, there’s just one installation file per operating system (Windows or Mac) per version (Premium vs. Free version). This new installer gives you the option to upgrade or install a fresh version.
Some other great new features include:
- Theme file previewing within Coda 2 (previously only available in Dreamweaver)
- Ability to share your local development site with other devices on your LAN (local area network), like iPads, Android phones, and other devices on the same WiFi network
- Support for installations with WordPress in its own directory (e.g. example.dev/website/ instead of installing at example.dev)
- Newest version of PHPMyAdmin, version 3.5.1
- Option for enabling Trace Utility, used for PHP debugging
I updated my Mac’s DesktopServer Premium using the new installer with no issues. It was intuitive, quick, and easy. However, I’d recommend backing up your current install folder (not the ‘Websites’ folders) in case your install has issues or overwrites some of your settings, like an edited sendmail.ini file. Also, beware that the upgrade install will add a new ‘3.4.0’ sub-folder to your ‘blueprints’ folder. In the interest of not losing your ‘blueprints’ work, make sure you don’t already have a folder named ‘3.4.0’, just in case. Just rename it to ‘my3.4.0′ or something else, then run the upgrade installation, then delete ‘3.4.0’ and rename ‘my3.4.0′ to ‘3.4.0’.
Download DesktopServer today and experience a more efficient way to develop and test multiple WordPress installations.
Credit: images from ServerPress.com