This week I’m going to look at some plugins that you can use to supercharge your WordPress categories and tags. These areas can be easily neglected as users potter on with the WordPress defaults. However, there are loads of plugins that can let you take full use of your categories and tags.
Simple tags lets you extend your WordPress tag functionality. It is the successor to the WordPress Simple Tagging Plugin, and works with WordPress 3.0.
- Tags suggestions
- Compatible with TinyMCE, FCKeditor, WYMeditor and QuickTags
- tags management (rename, delete, merge, search and add tags, edit tags ID)
- Edit mass tags (more than 50 posts once)
- Auto link tags in post content
- Auto tags
- Type-ahead input tags / Auto-completion Ajax
- Click tags
- Related tags
- Importer for embedded tags
- Tag pages as well as posts
- Embedded tags
- Meta keywords generated from tags in your header’s blog
- Technorati, Flickr and Delicious tags
- Dynamic Tag Clouds with colors with Widgets (random order, etc)
- Related content
- Add related posts inside RSS
- Extended the_tags function (outside the loop, technorati, etc)
Our Mini Review
Simple Tags is a great way to extend the functionality of your tags. Tagging your posts is great for SEO and with this plugin you can extend this to your pages. It’s nice to be able to mass edit your tags, saving you quite a bit of hassle. However, this is a plugin for the tag-lover. If you aren’t that au fait with tags then you might find that there is too much functionality for you.