Whether you’re customizing a theme, creating one based on a framework, or starting from scratch, you’ll probably need a few references along the way to remember everything that needs to go into a WordPress theme, not to mention adding advanced customizations. I decided I would share a small corner of my bookmarked resources for developing a WordPress theme. It’s handy to have all of these in one place instead of dozens of unannotated bookmarks to sort through. These will save you several hours if when you start to dive into WordPress theme development.
Get a free WPMU DEV plugin, plus free weekly tips and resources for using WordPress.
1. Interactive WordPress Theme Development Checklist
2. WordPress Theme Development Frameworks
For a quick guide to frameworks that you can use to develop themes, check out this resource. You may find that using a framework will speed up the development process and save you the trouble of gathering all the skeleton code again.
3. 23+ Excellent Tutorials For WordPress Theme Developers
This is a collection of tutorials for adding dynamic elements to your themes, such as multiple WordPress loops, getting the first image from a post to display, using cron to schedule events, making a theme backwards compatible, and many others.
4. WordPress Theme Development PDF Checklist
5. Using XAMPP for Local WordPress Theme Development
6. Create a Basic WordPress Theme Options Page
This is a helpful tutorial series for getting started with options pages on WordPress themes, which will help your users take advantage of the flexibility that you build into your theme without having to dig through the code.
CREATE AN AWESOME WORDPRESS THEME OPTIONS PAGE (PART 1)
CREATE AN AWESOME WORDPRESS THEME OPTIONS PAGE (PART 2 – IMPLEMENTATION)
7. Create an Advanced Options Page for Your Theme
This tutorial will help you create a theme options page with more advanced features, such as changing layouts, hide and display different elements dotted around the theme, enter ad codes, footer text, adding tracking codes, Feedburner URLs, and anything else you want.
8. Free eBook: Beginner’s Guide to WordPress Theme Development
9. How to Create a jQuery WordPress Options Panel
10. How to Create a WordPress Theme From Scratch (Complete Video Series)
11. WordPress Visual Cheat Sheet
12. How to Make a Child Theme For WordPress: A Pictorial Introduction For Beginners
If you enjoy lots of screenshots and step-by-step instructions, bookmark this resource. Sometimes visual references will help to make things click while other tutorials may not make as much sense to you.
13. Add a Style Switcher to your WordPress Theme
14. WordPress PSD Framework
This PSD contains many of the elements that you will reuse when designing WordPress themes and creating wireframes. Save yourself a little bit of time and start with this one, add to it, or create your own.