The plugin’s developer, Pippin Williamson, explains why he created this plugin, despite the fact that there are many other e-commerce plugins out there capable of selling digital downloads.
One of the main ideas behind the plugin is to provide a system that is only for digital downloads and does not also attempt to do 10,000 other tasks, like many of the e-commerce plugins available for WordPress.
One of the best features of Easy Digital Downloads is that it’s incredibly easy to use. Creating a download is as simple as writing a WordPress post:
You can manage all of your downloads directly through the WordPress dashboard:
Easy Digital Downloads features:
- 100% Free: No license restrictions or expensive download costs. Sell your downloads without spending a dime.
- Lightweight: No feature bloat, provides only what you need for selling your downloads.
- Cart System: Users can purchase multiple downloads at once with the included AJAX shopping cart.
- Discount Codes: Create your own discount codes, offered as a set amount or percentage based, including options for auto expiration and maximum uses.
- Payment Gateways: Current gateways include Stripe, PayPal and Authorize.net coming soon with more in development.
Users can purchase downloads on the front end just as you would with a standard shopping cart:
Payment history for all purchases is then available to the admin through the dashboard:
Want to see more of what the plugin does before downloading it? Check out the massive gallery of screenshots included on the plugin’s homepage.
There’s also a demo video if you’d like to see it in action:
Cut the bloat – get a shopping cart made specifically for digital downloads
Of course, there’s no risk in just downloading it and setting up the beta on your test server, since the plugin is 100% free. If you operate a store that sells digital downloads exclusively, this plugin should be on your shortlist for consideration as a WordPress shopping cart solution. Easy Digital Downloads is now live and available for download today from Pippin’s Plugins.