WordPress 3.6 Beta 1 has just arrived and is ready for testing. This exciting news means that we can expect the official WordPress 3.6 release very soon. If you are a WordPress plugin or theme developer, there’s no time to wait. Now is the time to make sure that your extensions are compatible with the upcoming 3.6 release.
What’s New and Exciting in WordPress 3.6?
The WordPress News blog announced the beta today with a summary of all the finalized features. Nothing else major will be added at this point.
- Post Formats: Post Formats have been ramped up to have their own UI. Changes in 3.6 also make it possible for theme authors to use templating functions to access the structured data.
- Twenty Thirteen: This release comes with a brand new default WordPress theme. Twenty Thirteen is a very colorful theme that focuses on blogging. Check out our sneak peek of the new Twenty Thirteen design.
- Audio/Video: WordPress 3.6 makes it much easier for you to embed audio and video files into your posts without relying on a plugin.
- Autosave: No more losing content while editing! Posts will be autosaved locally in 3.6. That means that even if your computer dies or you lose connection with your server, your hard work is still saved.
- Post Locking: Ever tried to edit a post and see that someone else is also working on it? Or perhaps they just forgot to log out? In WordPress 3.6 you’ll have the ability to kick them out of the editing screen.
- Nav Menus: A new accordion-based UI gives WordPress nav menus a fresh look. The release also includes a separate tab for bulk-assigning menus to locations.
- Revisions: Post revisions are getting a lot of love in this release. It features a newly re-designed UI with avatars for post attribution and a quick visual overview of the changes made.
Want a full preview of all the new features with screenshots? Check out our featured post: WordPress 3.6 — What To Look Forward To. The adventurous WordPress user can grab the latest beta and run wild with it. The WordPress Beta Tester plugin is an easy way to get up and running. Install it today and you can jump in on test driving WordPress 3.6.