BP: Add profile field data to members directory with links

Hey guys,

First off, great site! Glad to be a member!

Im looking for a way to include data from profile fields to each listing the the members directory. I have users selecting categories on sign up with a checkbox field. Id like to add those categories to the members director under the members name. I can output the catagories easily with the following php:

do_action( 'bp_directory_members_actions' );

What id like to do is have each category link to a member search of that word. In exactly the same way as it does by default on the profile pages. Iv tried a number of ways including explode and preg_split to output the data from the field into an array so i can use a foreach to put links around them, and tried using the existing xprofile_filter_link_profile_data filter but have had no luck. It could of course been my fault [im definitely not what youd call an experienced php programmer]. Im sure this is possible and is being done, im just missing something.

Take note im looking for a way to do this with checkbox fields not just a textbox [i can achieve this already], ie multiple pieces of data [although its stored as one string in the db].

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Gogger!

Philip John

Hiya,

I'm not too familiar with BP and have never seen that hook before so not sure how much help I can be. However, my first thought is that you simply need to filter whatever comes through that hook.

I suspect at that point the data is already in an array which you can run though with a search/replace.

Phil

gogger
    • #1,229

Hmmm, i bet its just me having a lack of understanding on how to use hooks and filters properly, ill sit down with the wordpress codex and a phat coffee this evening and go through it again.

The data is not an array when its echoed from do_action( 'bp_directory_members_actions' ); - its a string... Its stored as serialized data, I think thats causing some issues too.

gogger
    • #1,229

If you know any of your staff mates have exp with BP id be very appreciative if you passed this thread their way ;-) Thanks for your help!

Richie_KS

hi
    add something like this to your functions.php

function add_member_custom_extended_profile() {
    $data_name = bp_get_member_profile_data( 'field=Name' );
    $data_jobs = bp_get_member_profile_data( 'field=Jobs' );
    echo 'Name' . ' - ' . $data_name . '<br />';
    echo 'Jobs' . ' - ' . $data_jobs . '<br />';
    }
     add_action('bp_directory_members_item',  'add_member_custom_extended_profile');

you need specify the field you want to show.

cheers

gogger
    • #1,229

Hey Richie,

Yeah, but how would i put tags around each of the tagged categories in a checkbox type field? If i input the following they just come out as text, no link to a search of the category like it does on a normal profile [remember the field is of the checkbox type, therefore there are multiples entries to think about]:

function add_member_custom_extended_profile() {
    $data_name = bp_get_member_profile_data( 'field= Categories' );
    echo 'Categories' . ' - ' . $data_name . '
    ';
    }
    add_action('bp_directory_members_item', 'add_member_custom_extended_profile');

Cheers for the help so far!!

Join 372490 happy members

Get access to our entire collection of epic plugins, astonishing themes & genius support

Become a member