BuddyPress Activity Plus functionality

Hello All,

First, thank you WPMU dev for providing such a wide array of tools. It's great to have so many options!

I have been testing BuddyPress Activity Plus. In my opinion it could use some sprucing up.When I use similar functionality on Linkedin or Facebook the interface is smooth and yields professional results

1) BPAP does not do a very good job of presenting the article content. For instance, it only puts a link on the stream and the format for that is kind of odd. It would be better to show some of the article text as a teaser and, ideally, even allow editing that text like Linkedin does.

2) The thumbnail function does not appear to work. I have tried it on a few articles and it does not display any images.

3) The "What's new, username?" box is way too big! It takes up 25% of the vertical screen, better (IMHO) to have it be one line that can expand.

Screenshot notes: There is no thumbnail, no teaser text, the article title is not referenced (it is abeo splash page layout) and the font is odd.

Thoughts from the Community and WPMU dev?

~eric

Kimberly

It would be nice if there were thumbnails on post links :)

But I won't say much more, I want to see what others have to say!

Vladislav

Hello,

Just a few observations about BuddyPress Activity Plus - the idea around the plugin was to add a bit more sharing options to standard BuddyPress activity update form, not to change how it looks or works for your theme - hence the large box, for an example.

As for thumbnail, the plugin will try a couple of things to find the most appropriate image for the link you want shared, including parsing the page for IMG tags. The plugin will also try to determine the teaser text to be shared, too. However, it can only go through the content it finds on the page and can't log into sites for you - e.g. when I try to load the URL from your screenshot, it asks me to log in (and if you check the text the plugin found on the page - the "Username" bit - it's pretty much what the plugin saw too when it tried to read the page).

ericslangley
    • Elite

Ah! that explains the login text, my bad there.

I did not realize that the BuddyPress box size was in BuddyPress, not this plugin. Thanks for the clarification, my bad again!

I ran on test on an HBR blog. http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2012/04/leadership_teams_why_two_are_b.html
    In BPAP it did not return an appropriate thumbnail, even though there is one, and no teaser text (nor is there a way to edit the teaser text).

In Linkedin an appropriate thumbnail (2) are available as well as teaser text that is editable. Plus the full URL is hidden behind link.

~eric

ericslangley
    • Elite

As a follow up on this. It would be great if the plugin did the following;

1) Display some of the teaser text in the Activity Stream so that the user does not have to click read more.
    2) Allow editing the teaser text
    3) Applying CSS to the Title and Text to make it match the site
    4) Have the link open in a New Window, so we don't want to take users away from the site.

~eric

ericslangley
    • Elite

It's been a couple of month since this discussion started. Any possibility of the functionality discussed here to make it in the plugin?

Thanks

~eric

@ericslangley

Kimberly

Hey Eric, I'm not sure if Ve saw your suggestions, so I've asked him to pop back in here and have a look :)

ericslangley
    • Elite

So, five months ago, I made some recommendations to make the plugin best in class, as compared to functionality of Linkedin and facebook.

Is any progress being made?

~eric

Kimberly

I'm going to check with the developer to see what, his thoughts are on this :)

FitnessBlogger

Hi Guys,

Just jumping into this post to follow the comments

I agree with @ericslangley about these features...

+1

I will wait to hear your thoughts :)

Join 372369 happy members

Get access to our entire collection of epic plugins, astonishing themes & genius support

Become a member