BuddyPress On ALL Blogs?

Ok, I have a BuddyPress Group Forums installation. I got all my other issues figured out and everything is running great. The Group Forums option apparently uses the internal database instead of bbPress 2.0 with custom "forum" and "replies" post types etc. Which I guess I don't need. The reason I went with Group Forums internal database option is because my current theme Mingle is not compatible with the Site-Wide forum option (which uses bbPress 2.0 and custom post types).

That said, I still can't figure out (after BuddyPress has been installed on the main root blog site) how to get it to work on a sub-blog (sub domain) site within my multisite network. How is this done? In order to associate BuddyPress' pages, I have to go to my main network admin dashboard and click on BuddyPress page settings, but these pages are only associated with my main (root domain) blog site, and there are no options for any sub-blog (sub-domain) sites.

Would someone mind filling me in on how I use BuddyPress on my sub-blog sites within my network?

Thanks so much!

Philip John

Hiya!

BuddyPress is only attributed to your main blog and can't be used on any other sites in a network.

If you want more than one instance of BP you would need separate installs of WordPress I'm afraid.

Thanks,
    Phil

coreymj78

Thanks. Before you guys posted those links, I stayed up at home last night until 2am searching for the answer and I found it. It does not use any of the above mentioned methods. It is much simpler than that.

@Phil I just have to say Phil, that you could have at least given me this much information lol :)

Here is the solution in all it's glory:

define ( ‘BP_ENABLE_MULTIBLOG’, true );

This allows you to use BP an ALL blogs, not just the main blog. When I add the above line to my wp-config.php file, I get this message in the WP dashboard of all my sub-blogs:

The following active BuddyPress Components do not have associated WordPress Pages: Activity Streams, Site Tracking, Discussion Forums, User Groups, Members, Activate, Register.

Then I simply create the requested pages and associate them in the new BuddyPress > Pages menu (that has now been added to my sub-blog dashboard) and all is right in the world! Simple yet elegant!

Thanks to the above two posters for that info, I will save it for future use.

coreymj78

The one and only caveat to this is that there’s only one instance of BuddyPress for a whole multisite install. So if you enable multiblog, what shows up in yoursite.com/members is the same that shows up in e.g. subdomain.yoursite.com/members, but at least I can use it for each blog, which is what I want.

One other question would be, is there another method of separating the member areas? Or simply use your own links and so on to make sure that people can’t “slip over” to the other blog’s member area? If not, that's fine I suppose.

Timothy

Hi Coreymj78.

I'm glad you found the answer which you see.

@Phil I just have to say Phil, that you are most assuredly wrong on this. Which surprises me as you are an employee of WPMU Dev.
    Here is the solution in all it's glory:

I really thought you guys had experts on here that knew everything there is to know about WP and BP? Hmmm, but thanks to the above two posters for that info, I will save it for future use.

Yeah I think Phil mistakingly took your request as wanting multiple installs of BuddyPress which is not possible.

All installs on your network share the same data unless you make some hacks.

So being an expert in WP and BP he was right with how he thought you were asking the question.

Timothy

Hey again.

Just realised you had posted again and edited your original post. Sorry I didn't realise sooner, I went off to double check the "BP_ENABLE_MULTIBLOG". I always knew it was for sharing the the install across a network but with the recent 1.5 and what you wrote, I thought things had changed so I wanted to be sure before posting my response above.

The one and only caveat to this is that there’s only one instance of BuddyPress for a whole multisite install. So if you enable multiblog, what shows up in yoursite.com/members is the same that shows up in e.g. subdomain.yoursite.com/members, but at least I can use it for each blog, which is what I want.

Yeah as Phil said, having said, BuddyPress is attributed with your main install only.

At the moment the only way to have indepentant BuddyPress installs is to:

If you want more than one instance of BP you would need separate installs of WordPress I'm afraid.

Have a great day! :-)

Lorange
    • Elite

Having multiple separate BuddyPress social networks in the same WordPress install is possible. If this is what you're looking for the link I provided above is the only solution I know.

Timothy

Hey Lorange.

The link you proved then links out to the plugin directory:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bp-multi-network/

If I'm reading right, this allows multi network sites to have its own install of BuddyPress. So all sites within its network would still share the same data. Or did I miss something?

coreymj78

You missed something. Simply because the link referred to a plugin called Network+ that actually allows you to have multiple multisite networks within the main multisite network. Each of these sub networks could have its own BuddyPress network on it, essentially creating multiple BuddyPress social networks.

There is some configuration needed to a certain file plus the plugin setup and install and it seems just a tad complicated (although by the look of it, I could certainly manage it and I will try this if all else fails).

But my other question was, would another method of achieving what I want be to simply keep the one BuddyPress social network (without the above nested sub-network solution) and then somehow hide certain BuddyPress groups on my sub-blogs so that only the people who signed up through that particular blog would only see the groups I wanted them to see for that particular blog.

Does that make sense?

In other words, let's say I have my main root site A with BP installed. I also have sub-site B and sub-site C, which obviously share the same BP network as site A. I then create three BP groups associated with my sites called group A, group B, and group C. Now normally, regardless of whether a user signed up through site A, B, or C, they would all see groups A, B, and C on their groups page after logging in.

But what if there was a way to simply hide them? For example, if user John Smith had originally signed up through site B, then John Smith would only see group B on his groups page (because I hid groups A and C from him).

Is this possible? Granted, it's not a true separation, but if no one is never presented with a link to "cross over" to another site's group, then would that method work?

Timothy

Hey Coreymj78.

You missed something. Simply because the link referred to a plugin called Network+ that actually allows you to have multiple multisite networks within the main multisite network. Each of these sub networks could have its own BuddyPress network on it, essentially creating multiple BuddyPress social networks.

Of course, I said:

If I'm reading right, this allows multi network sites to have its own install of BuddyPress.

I realise that might not be so clear, but I was saying that multiple networks can have their own install.

So all sites within its network would still share the same data.

And then went on to state that sites within its own network would still share the main sites install.

I'm not sure how well this would work with WPMU Devs multi-domain plugin. I don't see why not but it would need to be road tested.

But my other question was, would another method of achieving what I want be to simply keep the one BuddyPress social network (without the above nested sub-network solution)

I suppose it depends on what your wanting to achieve. If you want your users to have their own BP install, then its more complex and nothing automated, they can't just sign up for a blog. You would need to give them their own network and check how permissions will work.

and then somehow hide certain BuddyPress groups on my sub-blogs so that only the people who signed up through that particular blog would only see the groups I wanted them to see for that particular blog.

It would require some extra code, but it is most certainly achievable. Its not something within the scope of what is currently provided. I know there is a widget which allows the user to display their group on their blog. (I'm sure this is included BuddyPress) Perhaps the widget could be changed to only allow groups they are subscribed to or admin of.

Just a couple of thoughts.

coreymj78

Never mind, thanks for your help though. I figured out how to do this correctly. Andrea (you may have heard of her) helped me out (link to thread below). For anyone else that finds this thread and is interested here ya go (everything laid out):

Full Instructions:

http://wpmututorials.com/news/new-features/multiple-buddypress-social-networks/

Plugins:

Install Networks+ or WP Multi Network

http://wpebooks.com/networks/
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-multi-network/

Then install BP Multi Network – Upload bp-multi-network.php to /wp-content/mu-plugins

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bp-multi-network/
    http://buddypress.org/community/groups/bp-multi-network/

My full thread:

http://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/buddypress-on-all-blogs#post-160736

———————-
    Steps:

• Create your second WP network with Networks+ / WP Multi Network
    • Activate BP on the sub network and go through the installation wizard
    • For forums you need to tweak your bb-config.php a bit (this only applies to those using the BP Group Forums option)

*Also, you don’t need:

define ( ‘BP_ENABLE_MULTIBLOG’, true );

…unless you want to show the same BP profiles on every single blog.

*Also, this works perfectly with the "Professional Domain Mapping" plugin I purchased from Andrea's company (same company that sells Networks+) and has already been road tested. The folks over at http://wpebooks.com and http://wpmututorials.com, including Andrea really know what they are doing! Great stuff.

ghog

i am using the define ( ‘BP_ENABLE_MULTIBLOG’, true ); method to connect my BP networks but i am having an issue with avatars not showing across subsites. Currently avatars only display on the subsite which users have registered on and i would like them to appear globally. has anyone managed to achieve this?

thanks

Timothy

Hey there.

Thanks for posting in this thread, however it might be best if you open your own, even if the issues seem closely related. That way it will remain independent of this one and ensure it doesn't confuse issues here if this thread needs reopening again by the author.

Posting on old threads can also lead to us missing your questions.

It also means the member who started this thread or anyone following it isn't inundated with post notifications each time we respond to each other. A lengthy thread could annoy the original

This also allows us to better track and answer your questions to ensure we don't miss any for ya.

You can start a new thread here:

http://premium.wpmudev.org/qanda/

Thanks.

Join 376366 happy members

Get access to our entire collection of epic plugins, astonishing themes & genius support

Become a member