Buddypress plugin registration activation.

I'm a novice with a sincere desire to learn but may be over my head.

Currently my Wordpress with Buddypress plugin site is loaded on bluehost. What is my first step in getting the registration activated in BuddyPress? No where on the dashboard does it show options.

BTW the plugin concern dropdown does not have simply, "BuddyPress" . I haven't a clue as to what BuddyPress Activity Plus is.

Thanks in advance for help.

uc
    • Elite

Hi ShirleyB,

I take it that you installed buddypress as a plugin. Depending on you worpresss install, if you are running a single site you will need to go to plugin on the dashboard to activate BuddyPress plugin. For a multisite install you will need to log into your Site and go to Network Admin > Plugins > Installed Plugins to activate your BuddyPress plugin

After activating you will be presented with to complete the installation usually at the top of the dashboard. Click on the link that appears to run the installation wizard to ensure you get BuddyPress set up correctly

To enable registration for single site install:

1. Go to Settings > General
    2. Next to Membership select ‘Anyone can register’.
    3. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Save Changes.

For multisite:
    1. In your Network Admin dashboard, go to Settings
    2. Under Allow new registrations select ‘Both sites and user accounts can be registered’

You can find detailed instruction on how to set up Buddypress here

http://premium.wpmudev.org/the-buddypress-manual/

I haven't a clue as to what BuddyPress Activity Plus is.

BuddyPress Activity Plus adds three new buttons to the activity stream, which enable users to quickly share photos, videos and links.

you can watch the this short tutorial here:http://premium.wpmudev.org/project/media-embeds-for-buddypress-activity/
    and checkout the instruction on how to customize:

http://premium.wpmudev.org/project/media-embeds-for-buddypress-activity/installation/

Hope this helps

UC

ShirleyB
    • #5,051

Thanks UC. I did everything as directed but there are still issues or a misunderstanding on my part. How does a new member sign up? The only member in the site is admin (me). I can't locate anywhere on the admin home page how sign up can take place. In the admin back office, where is the "invite" located?

uc
    • Elite

When you activate buddypress it creates the community pages: activity, activate, members, register, groups, forum.

You will need to go to appearance->menu and create a custom menu if it is not showing up.

New member can sign up by clicking on register
    N.B The menu items mentioned above should also appear on the buddypress admin bar at top of the site if you didn't disable it. and you will find them under My Account.

see sreenshots

ShirleyB
    • #5,051

I followed the directions and added Register and Activate to menu but the admin bar is still not indicating that this step was done. Next step?

BTW I have the site in maintenance mode while I am in the build process. Could this be the problem?

aecnu

Greetings Shirley,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

It appears that you are relatively new to this whole WordPress and Buddy Press world and it would certainly be in your best interest to take it slow and check out how things work adsorbing and learning the concepts to each item completely before moving on to the next.

Adding Buddy Press to WordPress and having it operational with just those two items is a big step in the right direction of course and an accomplishment.

Adding plugins and learning each one thereafter will offer even more of a challenge as you learn to integrate each within themselves and within WordPress and Buddy Press.

If you take your time and pay attention to details including actions and reactions you should be able to get a handle on this stuff relatively quickly, but take each challenge one at a time or it can be quite overwhelming.

Backup often and then have no fear about messing with your web site since you should be easily able to restore it from its last backup.

With all that said, lets get on to getting you on your way to a working web site.

You should probably not have your site in maintenance mode since those of us wanting to assist will be looking at the front end and in usually rare occasions need access to the backend as well as possibly other hosting related areas. Word of caution, be very careful whom you give this type of access to, in a nutshell it is certain that all WPMU Dev Staff can be trusted.

After turning off maintenance mode, where are we with the development of your web site?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

ShirleyB
    • #5,051

You are spot on! I am a newbie to the world of WordPress and Buddy Press. Thanks for words of encouragement! I have deactivated maintenance mode.

Where I am in development:
    1. Loaded on host:
    WordPress, Buddy Press plugin, Fundraising plugin
    Theme - default Buddy Press (ume4all.com) please check the screen.

2. Welcome page of Dashboard - I checked out each step, but did not actually work with the content due to having loaded the Buddy Press plugin and its application .

Going through - one by one - Basic Settings, Add Real Content, Customize Your Site - trying to figure out how things work. Frustration stems from inconsitencies or what seems to be to my untrained eye.

Example: I clicked on each link from the three columns. Under the column, Add Real Content and I click on "Create a New About Me Page", I am taken to http://www.myname.com/wp-admin/edit.php?post_type=page&orderby=title&order=desc Pages and see a list of Titles that are to populate the admin menu bar. In my case Activate and Register to not appear even after I add them as directed in a previous WPMU dev post.

3. Trying to add to the admin menu bar, Register, Activate - NO success and no functionaility. .
    Currently the function of signing up is not available to visitors for the purpose of internal testing. Domain URL has not been given out.

4. Searching for how members INVITE potential members not within the community already.

5. Going through the Buddy Press manual only to be frustrated because what is shown in the manual (including screen shots) is not necessarily showing up in reality within the site's framework.

In summary, I have not loaded content, photos, etc., (see #2 above). BTW where is the "back up" function you referred to? :)

Well, there you go! I've been up most of the night - just to say, I am persistent and appreciate the patience you all are showing with me.

Please advise.

THANKS!
    ShirleyB

aecnu

Greetings Shirley,

It can certainly be a challenge being on the cutting edge of technology, this is why more often then not a manual does not match the code for the most part.

1. Loaded on host:
    WordPress, Buddy Press plugin, Fundraising plugin
    Theme - default Buddy Press (ume4all.com) please check the screen.

I visited and see you got the signup working :-)

2. Welcome page of Dashboard - I checked out each step, but did not actually work with the content due to having loaded the Buddy Press plugin and its application .

Going through - one by one - Basic Settings, Add Real Content, Customize Your Site - trying to figure out how things work. Frustration stems from inconsitencies or what seems to be to my untrained eye.

Example: I clicked on each link from the three columns. Under the column, Add Real Content and I click on "Create a New About Me Page", I am taken to http://www.myname.com/wp-admin/edit.php?post_type=page&orderby=title&order=desc Pages and see a list of Titles that are to populate the admin menu bar. In my case Activate and Register to not appear even after I add them as directed in a previous WPMU dev post.

Normally the first thing I do with a new site is to delete all the included posts, pages, and links and move forward with my own form there.

3. Trying to add to the admin menu bar, Register, Activate - NO success and no functionaility. .
    Currently the function of signing up is not available to visitors for the purpose of internal testing. Domain URL has not been given out.

Turn your registration on and the options for registration should appear. People are not going to register to an empty site, only spam bots would do such a thing. In the event someone does register, they will be along for the ride of development receiving new posts etc.

4. Searching for how members INVITE potential members not within the community already.

This is certainly taking the cart before the horse and overwhelming yourself with a feature that is not yet relevant - there is no community to be invited. Take a deep breath and work one issue at a time. As you work through one issue the answer to other issues will become apparent as the concepts are absorbed.

In summary, I have not loaded content, photos, etc., (see #2 above). BTW where is the "back up" function you referred to? :)

The one I personally use is the one kept in the hosting control panel. However, this sometimes intimidates folks with its many options and they simply do not know what to choose or how to recover.

You may want to use the WPMU Dev Snapshot plugin which may be just the solution to include recovery.

It has just recently been made available to MultiSite's so I have yet to try it myself.

Please advise as to the status of your registration and if indeed you are able to backup and restore using the method of your choice.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

uc
    • Elite

Thanks Joe for the points
    uc

ShirleyB
    • #5,051

Thanks so much for all your help and advice! I will update you as I traverse through this new land called WordPress. My feet are getting wet and I'm not drowning - a very good thing.

ShirleyB

aecnu

Greetings Shirley,

It appears this particular topic if this ticket is now resolved/closed, if you need any further assistance please let us know by opening a new ticket.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe :-)

ShirleyB
    • #5,051

It is closed for now...had to test. Things seem to be in order.

I opened a new ticket up a couple of days ago relative to different topic. It would be appreciated if you could check it out for me. The topic is logo image size for BuddyPress default theme header.

Thanks!
    ShirleyB

Join 378322 happy members

Get access to our entire collection of epic plugins, astonishing themes & genius support

Become a member