Continue working on the intended theme

Hi,

I wonder if it is possible to continue working on the original theme I intend to use for the site while the Holder for BuddyPress is active.

If so, how?

Thanks,
Ronen

Philip John

Hiya!

It isn't possible to activate a theme only for a particular user I'm afraid, no.

Instead, you might want to consider either using a plugin like Maintenance Mode to keep non-admins from seeing the site or a tool like ServerPress to develop the site offline before sending it live.

Thanks,
    Phil

sourcev

Thanks, Phil.

I do have such plugin active, but it is not a BuddyPress specific, so I had hoped the Holder will do the job better.

I don't need the ServerPress since I use Linux as a desktop, but I am not sure how to use it for development. Are you aware on any tool or instructions on how to use my Linux Desktop for the development phase.

Philip John

If you're using Linux then you'll be looking at using LAMP: http://www.lamphowto.com/

However, if you're not happy playing around on the terminal in Linux I would recommend using something like Desktop Server if you can.

Thanks

sourcev

Oh, by the way.

If I do use local development, what would be the best procedures to upload the final version to the production server?

Any specific recommendation?
    Any online guide you know of?

Philip John

I've heard good things about BackupBuddy so you might want to check that out!

sourcev

I will take a look into that plugin.

Thanks.

sourcev

Thanks.

I guess I would need to try it.

pxjenkins

Hi sourcev,

I'm just starting to try out bitnami as a local testing environment for plugins etc before uploading them to my live site; may I ask whether you managed to do a WPMS install on it? Does one follow the same procedure as per on web host? Any issues?

Thanks!

Paul

sourcev

Hi Paul,

Sorry but I don't have much info for you, as of yet.

I haven't tested it yet locally.

However if you do install it, I would love to hear from you how it went.

JOIN 378558 HAPPY MEMBERS

We pride ourselves on our level of customer support and responsiveness to member requests. Your WordPress experience will never be the same

Become a member

• PayPal Partner