ERROR: Cookies are blocked or not supported on new site

I am on hostgator. I created a new multisite following all setup rules.

The MU site is on an addon domain and I have all the wildcards duly set.

I can create sites from the Network admin panel as a super user no problem.

New sign ups however that create sites can't login using their sent passwords obtaining the cookie error :

[ERROR: Cookies are blocked or not supported by your browser. You must enable cookies to use WordPress.]

I cannot login to the new sites using the superadministrator login or password either.

I am using the multi-domains plugin and it's working fine as I can create sites under either of the domains added but they seem to work from the Superadministration account only.

On the new sites from wp-signup.php path... If the new users request a password reset they can then log in although they to get an error:

[You attempted to access the "Name Name Name" dashboard, but you do not currently have privileges on this site. If you believe you should be able to access the "Name Name Name" dashboard, please contact your network administrator.

If you reached this screen by accident and meant to visit one of your own sites, here are some shortcuts to help you find your way.
Your Sites

Chris Testing Visit Dashboard | View Site]

Clicking visit dashboard takes me to the login screen again.

I have my domains set as subdomain.mainsite.com

What am I doing wrong?

Did I miss some code somewhere?

Help!

Cheers
Chris

PC

Hey Chris,

Thanks for your email.

Have you enabled Single Sign on in the plugin settings ?

What is the link to your site where I can signup and test things out ?

Please advise !

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

wpmudev75

Hey PC

Any chance you had a look at this yet?

Thanks
    Chris

wpmudev75

Ok so I have single signon turned on...

I also tried adding this to the wp-config.php file as I read that it helped on other installs

define('ADMIN_COOKIE_PATH', '/');
    define('COOKIE_DOMAIN', '');
    define('COOKIEPATH', '');
    define('SITECOOKIEPATH', '');

But alas... same issue is happening exactly as explained above.

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix I would be very happy.

I am hoping I don't have to move this install to another account entirely and run it from root instead of being an addon as that would be a bit boring : (

Fingers Crossed

Cheers
    Chris

wpmudev75

** UPDATE **

upon triple checking my setup I notice that my dedicated IP was pointed to the wrong addon domain.

I am have requested to the webhost to correct this error and hopefully this will make things work correctly.

C

wpmudev75

** UPDATE 2 **

On hostgator your WPMU must be installed at ROOT or your dedicated ip will not point to it correctly because of the functionality in apache (according to sysadmin)

I just now setup an new account and I am migrating the addon to it with the new ip so fingers crossed... this will all work soon : P

C

PC

Hey there Chris,

Thanks for your posts !

On hostgator your WPMU must be installed at ROOT or your dedicated ip will not point to it correctly because of the functionality in apache (according to sysadmin)

That is no good. Glad my hosting does not force me to do that but to keep things simple, Its always good to install WordPress multisite in root folder.

Let me know if you still see any issues after moving the setup to the root.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

wpmudev75

Hi PC

It looks like HG and I got all those bugs ironed out.

I just did a test and it all worked beautifully : )

Thanks for your time and input here PC

This topic can be marked as resolved for now.

Chris

PC

Hey Chris,

Thanks for coming back and letting me know that its all sorted !

Cheers, PC

Join 376513 happy members

Get access to our entire collection of epic plugins, astonishing themes & genius support

Become a member