Forums Plugin Shortcodes Not Working For Me

After struggling with trying to get a membership solution that worked well with forums and your Wiki plugin, I decided to bite the bullet and get your Forums and Membership plugin.

Membership works great, after struggling with Wishlist and BuddyPress this seems to be a simple and elegant solution. I've got membership levels defined and it works great with Wiki. Forums, however, is a different matter.

For forums, I've tried without success to get BuddyPress to work, have also tried Symposium and Mingle Forum. Between the learning curves for these solutions, I decided to give up and thought perhaps I could get wiki/forums/membership to work together well if I restricted myself to the WPMU Dev ecosysystem.

I've created three forums, and created a "User Forums" page on which I've embedded the shortcodes for the forums: [forum:1], [forum:2], and [forum:3]. What I'm getting is no text displayed for the first forum, and the other two shortcodes display as plain text. I want a page with a list of forums ... sounds simple, but so far I'm stymied (and I've been unable to find a thread here that addresses this problem).

By the way, I've set number of maximum forums to 25 on the Options page...

Arun Basil Lal
    • #31,036

Hello vingogly,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

I am glad you loved the Membership plugin. If you have any feedback or suggestions feel free to share them.

Regarding the forums, let me ask. Did you paste the short code in the HTML view? Sometimes using it in the Visual view would make it appear just as the short code itself. Have a look at this shot:

http://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/forums12.jpg

Let me know if that works for you. If not, try these:

- Change the theme to default BP Theme (I am assuming you are using BP)
    - Disable all other plugins and try.

There are standard steps to be taken when you spot some plugin isn't working. Just so that you know!

Let me know,

Arun Basil Lal

vingogly
    • #11,960

The shortcodes were pasted in HTML view, I've checked the plugins, and don't believe it's the Builder theme I'm using.

My suspicion is that you can't have more than one forum shortcode on a page. Since Forums doesn't appear to support a category structure, I was going to impose one using multiple forums and linking to them all on an "index" page.

Before I spend a lot more time on this, could you verify that the above assumptions are correct (or not)? If Forums doesn't support categories in some way or permit creation of an "index" page, I'll need to move on to a different solution.

Arun Basil Lal
    • #31,036

Hello vingogly,

I had failed to get the idea that you are using the short-codes all on one single page, my bad.

I checked it out, and no it doesn't work. I had a talk with the developer and he confirms that. Btw, he has agreed to look into it right away, maybe provide some work around for this.

Let see what comes up!

Arun Basil Lal

vingogly
    • #11,960

2.0.0b1 does indeed fix the problem ... all's working now! Thanks, S. H. and Arun!

Arun Basil Lal
    • #31,036

Hello vingogly,

Sometimes we say, that a WPMU Dev membership is like having your own development team and this is exactly what we mean by that!

I am glad it worked for you, am testing out the plugin for any bugs or issues myself right now, if you spot any, let us know right away!

Thanks for being a member here :)

Arun Basil Lal

vingogly
    • #11,960

Thanks ... I plan on having the different forums under Smart Sliding Notes tabs so this is a great help. Now on to getting Membership to work right (but that's a different thread :))

Arun Basil Lal
    • #31,036

Hello Vingogly,

Thanks for those rep points! You sent me everything you had! That makes me so happy, but its Mohanjith who did all the hard work under the hood. I will share some with him :)

Arun Basil Lal

Join 376366 happy members

Get access to our entire collection of epic plugins, astonishing themes & genius support

Become a member