Marketpress For German Wordpress Site

Hi there guys, this is my first post here... :)

I finally made the move and bought a membership at WPMU Dev - thanks for the pre-sale help guys ;)

Ok here is what I am trying to do:

I want to open a shop using marketpress in german language (primary language) but with all products being translated into english and french as well.

My current hosts are Hostgator and Godaddy which I have used for years because of the ease to set up WP in one click using Fantastico and Hosting Connection (I always used the standard WP install in english - but this project now will be my very first german WP project), so my experience level is quite low when it comes to modifying code/languages/DB/Apache doing stuff manually etc...

1st question: Can I still use fantastico for a quick and easy WP set up or should I go ahead and download the complete german Wordpress version here: http://wordpress-deutschland.org/download/deutsch/ and then manually install WP and the Database needed?

2nd question: Will I have to manually change code/language in the Marketpress plugin once I have it installed and if yes what is the fastest/noob-friendly way for me to do this?

3rd question: Can I use my Artisteer program to make my own theme or will I have to use a theme here? And which would be a recommended theme that is working well with marketpress?

4th question: I see there is already Euro currency support but will I run into issues using german payment gateways? I want to start out by using Paypal (german) but later I might want to install my 2CO account as well.

5th question: I saw the marketpress folder includes a mu-plugin, does this mean I have to make the wordpress site a multi-site to run marketpress properly?

6th question: Is it possible to have multiple languages for each product (german, english and french) ?

Sorry for the stupid questions but I just want to do things right from the start...

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Cheers
Toni :)

Aaron

Welcome!

1st question: Can I still use fantastico for a quick and easy WP set up or should I go ahead and download the complete german Wordpress version here: http://wordpress-deutschland.org/download/deutsch/ and then manually install WP and the Database needed?

All you really need is the German language file from that package and a line in your wp-config.php file. So you could use fantastico.

2nd question: Will I have to manually change code/language in the Marketpress plugin once I have it installed and if yes what is the fastest/noob-friendly way for me to do this?

No, the plugin can be translated like any other WP plugin. There are a lot of tutorials out there for this, like: http://www.lost-in-code.com/platforms/wordpress/wordpress-translate-a-plugin/
    Once you've created the language file it should be named mp-de_DE.mo and put in the marketpress/marketpress-includes/languages/ folder.

3rd question: Can I use my Artisteer program to make my own theme or will I have to use a theme here? And which would be a recommended theme that is working well with marketpress?

It should be compatible with most WP themes. If you want to check out a nice one, try our Product theme. We will be updating it soon too with lots of MP fancy doodads.

4th question: I see there is already Euro currency support but will I run into issues using german payment gateways? I want to start out by using Paypal (german) but later I might want to install my 2CO account as well.

Paypal and 2checkout should support german accounts.

5th question: I saw the marketpress folder includes a mu-plugin, does this mean I have to make the wordpress site a multi-site to run marketpress properly?

No, multisite is optional.

6th question: Is it possible to have multiple languages for each product (german, english and french) ?

This is the hardest part. There are 3 options I can see. First, create separate products for each language, maybe with different categories to segregate them on the site. But that could be alot to manage. Or you could just put all the translations in the product details body.
    Or it may be possible to use one of the many translation plugins out there. I don't know if any work with custom post types, and even if they do they may take some hacking.

dronix
    • #2,033

Hey Toni welcome to WPMUDEV!

Can I still use fantastico for a quick and easy WP set up or should I go ahead and download the complete german Wordpress version here: http://wordpress-deutschland.org/download/deutsch/ and then manually install WP and the Database needed

Yes you can still use Fantastico to quickly install the English version of WordPress and later install the German language files. For more info on how to do this head over to the Codex.
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress_in_Your_Language

Will I have to manually change code/language in the Marketpress plugin once I have it installed and if yes what is the fastest/noob-friendly way for me to do this?

The plugin only comes in English so you'll have to translate it. You can do so by taking a look at the mp-default.po file.

Can I use my Artisteer program to make my own theme or will I have to use a theme here? And which would be a recommended theme that is working well with marketpress?

Yes you can create your own theme. There aren't any MarketPress themes besides the ones that come with the plugin. Product Theme is the only eCommerce theme released by WPMUDEV.

I see there is already Euro currency support but will I run into issues using german payment gateways? I want to start out by using Paypal (german) but later I might want to install my 2CO account as well.

There are more payment gateways coming soon, but we can always guide you through the process of implementing one that ins't currently supported.

I saw the marketpress folder includes a mu-plugin, does this mean I have to make the wordpress site a multi-site to run marketpress properly?

Not necessarily. MarketPress woks on both multi-site and single installation. The mu-plugin folder is for those that want to enable the plugin across a network of sites.

Is it possible to have multiple languages for each product (german, english and french) ?

Yes. The easiest way would be to use a plugin that can translate the content for you. Luckily there's already such a plugin here at WPMEDEV.
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/project/ultimate-translate

dronix
    • #2,033

My mistake Aaron, seems like you beat me to it.

Toni
    • Custom

wow awesome,

thanks guys!!

and seems like your answers match almost perfectly LOL

Again thanks a lot for clearing things up for me :)

Cheers!

Mason

Hiya Toni,

Glad to see ya on this side of the membership! ;D

Thanks!

vivianne_vog__
    • #2,902

Does someone already have a german language file?
    I would pay for it.

Join 376575 happy members

Get access to our entire collection of epic plugins, astonishing themes & genius support

Become a member