Membership plugin causing redirect loop in Multisite

Greetings,

I have a multisite created using buddypress and I would like to install Membership for protected content.

Buddypress and Membership are only enabled in the /members multisite, to separate it from the main landing page.

When I enable Membership, I receive this error:

[Tue Aug 13 08:12:38 2013] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Request exceeded the limit of 10 internal redirects due to probable configuration error. Use 'LimitInternalRecursion' to increase the limit if necessary. Use 'LogLevel debug' to get a backtrace., referer: http://domainname.com/members/members/admin/profile/change-avatar/

Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Dayan

I hope you are well today and thanks for your question, sorry to hear of the problems your having.

It sounds like there could be a possible conflict with the URL structure. Your using this on a multisite, subdirectory? On the domain.com/members sub site correct? Are you also using BuddyPress?

Would it be possible please to get the URL of your site please?

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Dayan
    • #2,632

Sure.

http://domain.com

I've give you admin access:

Moderated login details

You'll be able to see the way i've built it. And i did a custom Buddypress hack to define the subsite, so i know that's working:

define ( 'BP_ROOT_BLOG', 2 );

Because if I disable Membership, I'm able to get to this link:

http://domain.com/members

When you're logged in, you can get to it, but log out, or just try to go to that link first, you'll see a redirect loop if you're using chrome, or with firefox you get "The page isn't redirecting properly"

Your colleague told me that using Buddypress and Membership were sufficient for my needs. I did some testing, and yes, it would be if there weren't so many issues with Buddypress and Membership in multisite more.

I need Buddypress and Membership only in the /members site, as the main site will be a normal website, and /members will only be for members to update their profiles and upload/download content. Additionally, I would like to not have to install a separate wordpress instance just for the members area, as that seems foolish, and I will need access to the same database for functions that i'll be running on the main site to pull in member profile data on the front-end.

Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Dayan

Thanks for the additional information and the login details, please note that this a public forum, so I have removed the login details from the site, but I caught them just as you posted, they was live and visible for about 1 minute, I personally would still recommend changing them and sending me new ones to contact(at)wpmudev.org with the subject line Attn: Jack kitterhing, could you make them a super admin please?

I did take a look and that site I had access to, that is site 2 correct? Could you paste your .htaccess file please?

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Dayan
    • #2,632

Any update on this?

Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Dayan

Thanks for the logins, after taking a closer look at this, I see a couple of possible problems, it's always recommendable to give a access level to users going to the site, even if it's to the registration or login page, otherwise they can't access anything and this could cause a redirect loop.

Then there's also a issue with not all pages being created and selected within membership > options > membership pages, which should all have a page attached.

And while looking at the URL structure, I noticed that multisite is installed on a sub domain correct? Can you paste your .htaccess file here please?

Thank you.

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Dayan
    • #2,632

php_value memory_limit 128M

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-admin$ $1wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Dayan

Thanks for the additional info that looks good, I believe this is caused as it is installed on a sub domain and should really be installed in the root of the domain.

But to make sure of this, can you disable BuddyPress and see if it works? If it does, then it's a conflict there we can try and sort, if it doesn't, can you do the same with Membership please.

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Dayan
    • #2,632

As I stated, I installed buddypress and membership in a subdomain /members because i really only want the social content there, and I need the main site to look like a real site. How would I go about doing that if the buddypress and membership are on the main site?

I don't want a login on top of the main site. I just want a menu item that says "members" and points to /members and allows a member to only update their profiles, password, and upload/download content.

Additionally, I did state before that the redirect loop only happens when membership is active. If I deactivate the plugin, then there's no redirect loop.

To be clear, my requirements are pretty simple. This is not a pay for site, and I only need the members to have the above capabilities. There will be further multisites, and the origin al domain is to be the main site and the network admin site.

Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Dayan

Thanks for the additional information, sorry I didn't mean the sites themselves, I meant about the mulisite (the network), being installed on a sub domain? Not the sub site of members, members is a sub site of your network, sorry I should have been clearer on that.

Can you please try creating a access level, then adding that access level as the visitor setting with the membership settings, it must have access to one page, once this is done, please re test the page and see if it works :)

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Dayan
    • #2,632

Ok, it looks like it's working now. Great, thanks! But, since there's no documentation on this plugin, I need to ask another question.

I've setup 3 access levels. Level 1, 2, and Visitor. For anyone visiting the site, only the protected content page should show, and no menu. It should only show the log in at the top. However, I setup the Visitor access level negative rules to only show the protected content page, as well as setting up protected content in reading as the static page. Unfortunately, it's still showing the members page (although the menu has been removed, which is exactly what i want). It should only be showing protected content to visitors, and that's not what it's doing.

Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Dayan

I hope you are well today, that's great! Thanks for letting me know :)

Sorry it is showing the menu item for the members page, or the actual page if the URL is visited? Please advise.

Also we do have a PDF manual here http://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Membership-Documentation-SJC.pdf and a great tutorial series on youtube here http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV1BcivFAIdtF4p7CYVfMbVAJ4JQ1Rpe9

I'm here to help :)

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Dayan
    • #2,632

Hi Jack,

I'll review the manual now. Thanks for all the great help! BTW, I just sent an email to contact, at your ATTN for a request. Please let me know.

Thanks.

Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Dayan

Great! Your most welcome :) Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance, I have just responded to and completed your request :)

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Dayan
    • #2,632

Great work Jack! I'll resolve this issue now.

Jack Kitterhing

Hi Dayan,

Great! Your welcome :) If I can be of any further assistance please don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Jack Kitterhing

Hi Dayan,

Thanks for the link, when my colleague Ari comes online, I'll discuss it with him, don't worry we'll get it sorted ASAP :)

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Dayan
    • #2,632

This really can't be that complicated. I need a solution, so I can move forward with my project.

Join 372423 happy members

Get access to our entire collection of epic plugins, astonishing themes & genius support

Become a member