Need suggestions, answers, explanation, etc.

Hello everyone,

I have renewed my Membership here after short pause and I am very happy about that :)

I have some questions here, I could open topics for each one but I think it would just mess up forum and it would be pretty hard to control replies I think (still - I will do that if it's required).

I will list here questions and not only - I need your suggestions to make some decisions, which are really important for starting my project.

So,

Plugin-related questions:

1) I have found SeoPress Pro on WPPlugins and it looks quite solid and attractive, it is also compatible to WP Multisite. Could you please help me make choice between WPMU DEV SEO and SeoPress Pro? Have to say, that WPMU DEV SEO isn't only reason for me to have your membership package purchased, so feel free to be objective while rating these plugins. Which is better and why?

2) I believe you have heard about plugin BackupBuddy, it is also compatible to WP Multisite. Can you tell me (according to your experience) how good it is, is it worth to buy and install it on my Multisite or not and why?

3) Maybe I should ask this question on wordpress.com forums, but I prefer to ask you if it isn't problem - You know about well-known VideoPress service from Automattic. I think you also know that it is available to download it as a PLUGIN in WP Plugins directory. It needs an API key to work (for example, I should have wordpress.com account with VideoPress upgrade to use this API on my self-hosted blog). Is it compatible to MultiSite? For example, can I allow my users to use my API key?

4) Akismet solution for WP MS - All I need is Akismet to be automatically activated on new blogs/sites. I think I should purchase Enterprise package of Akismet (50$/Month & 550$/Year) which supports unlimited blogs. But how can I configure settings so that new blogs have Akismet automatically installed?

5) Global Site Tags plugin - I have installed it few weeks ago and I have one problem here - tags are shown, but when I hover it with cursor, it doesn't show any numbers (it shows "related post(s)", it should show - "2 related post(s)" for example).

6) I will add this question to related topic today, but as I am listing all my questions here, I will ask it here too - As I know, Membership plugin isn't working with Pro Sites (Beta) yet, is it planned to make them working together in full version of Pro Sites (I think it is, but just making myself sure)?

7) Admin Help Content - This is nice plugin, but can I (if I can't, take it as my suggestion please, as it's really useful) create different help contents for separate pages, like WordPress has? (When you are on Add New Post page, it shows tips for adding new post, when you are on comments page, it shows how to edit, delete, etc. comments and so on).

8) I am going to add custom gateway to MarketPress, but I will open a detailed topic in related place (I have some questions here).

9) MarketPress - Is this problem resolved in current version? To say truth, I don't think that it's problem, moreover - I need that kind of functionality on my network in order to control every order made on my sub-sites (shops).

10) MarketPress - I would be very happy to learn how to integrate MarketPress (basic rules) with different themes. I will open detailed thread about that too.

11) AntiSplog - will 1 membership account work for 3 Multisites? (I am going to run 3 Multisites in nearest future and will my membership be enough for those three?).

12) MarketPress - I need custom currency, custom gateway I will open a detailed topic about that.

13) Chat plugin - This amazing plugin doesn't have UTF-8 support. I am trying to write in Georgian and it shows one cubic or "?".

---

Basic questions, related to my project and it's needs:

1) I know you are running second largest multisite (edublogs.org) and that's why I am interested with your suggestions. I would like to restrict SOMEHOW registering all nice domains without using them (for example some users can register all good domains and then sell them, or just not use them). I can add a paragraph in TOS that selling is prohibited, but what about using? For example, "If you don't use your newly-created domain for a month, it will be available for everyone and you won't be able to re-register it in next 6 months or something. So I would like to have suggestions from your huge experience.

2) SSL certificating - As I have said above, I am going to run 3 (Maybe more in future) WP Multisites and I am going to secure each of them with SSL wildcard certificates.

I have basic questions here - what should I take into account about SSL certificating, what should I be aware of and etc.

3) Domain Mapping and SSL certificates. - I have read some topics here and developer of Domain Mapping plugin have said that Domain Mapping doesn't support SSL certificate. At first, I was bit disappointed about that, then I remind that WordPress.com blogs were secured with SSL, so I have found one "domain-attached" blog and went to it's "/wp-login.php" and it redirected to what I thought - subdomain/wp-login.php. So I think there should be no problem for us too. What do you think?

4) SSL Certificates - Which wildcard should I choose? For example, is it OK to choose "True BusinessID Wildcard"?

5) Is 133 Theme Pack updated after discovering TimThumb vulnerability? (And your other themes?)

6) I am going to hire WPSecurity.com as my security developer (I am not advertising it). It is really important for me what you think about this site & group? Have you heard about them before?

7) Is it OK (I think it is, just making sure) to run some stand-alone sites and some Networks on same server?

I think that's all for now. If I continue asking more questions you might block me :D :)

I am happy to re-join your community again,

Thank you,

Kote

DavidM

Hi kshengelia,

First off, glad to see you've renewed! Looking forward to seeing you around! Will have to go through this one in a couple parts.

1) I have found SeoPress Pro on WPPlugins and it looks quite solid and attractive, it is also compatible to WP Multisite. Could you please help me make choice between WPMU DEV SEO and SeoPress Pro? Have to say, that WPMU DEV SEO isn't only reason for me to have your membership package purchased, so feel free to be objective while rating these plugins. Which is better and why?

We don't have a comparison of that I'm afraid and that's one we likely wouldn't have a comparison for, but anyone with experience using the two is more than free to post something on that here or elsewhere!

2) I believe you have heard about plugin BackupBuddy, it is also compatible to WP Multisite. Can you tell me (according to your experience) how good it is, is it worth to buy and install it on my Multisite or not and why?

I've not actually used the Multisite version myself yet, but it's my understanding it's still in early beta. However, I really liked the regular version, worked perfectly in backing up my full Multisite, just didn't let me choose individual sites to backup.

3) Maybe I should ask this question on wordpress.com forums, but I prefer to ask you if it isn't problem - You know about well-known VideoPress service from Automattic. I think you also know that it is available to download it as a PLUGIN in WP Plugins directory. It needs an API key to work (for example, I should have wordpress.com account with VideoPress upgrade to use this API on my self-hosted blog). Is it compatible to MultiSite? For example, can I allow my users to use my API key?

You likely would have to check with Automattic on that one, but hopefully others around here would know.

4) Akismet solution for WP MS - All I need is Akismet to be automatically activated on new blogs/sites. I think I should purchase Enterprise package of Akismet (50$/Month & 550$/Year) which supports unlimited blogs. But how can I configure settings so that new blogs have Akismet automatically installed?

You can use New Blog Templates for that actually! You might also want to take a look at this one:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/typepad-antispam/

5) Global Site Tags plugin - I have installed it few weeks ago and I have one problem here - tags are shown, but when I hover it with cursor, it doesn't show any numbers (it shows "related post(s)", it should show - "2 related post(s)" for example).

As with most of the issues you mention regarding our plugins, we'll have to look into this with a thread of its own. It may involve getting the developer to look into it.

6) I will add this question to related topic today, but as I am listing all my questions here, I will ask it here too - As I know, Membership plugin isn't working with Pro Sites (Beta) yet, is it planned to make them working together in full version of Pro Sites (I think it is, but just making myself sure)?

I'll have to double check with the developers on that, but I believe that is planned, yes.

7) Admin Help Content - This is nice plugin, but can I (if I can't, take it as my suggestion please, as it's really useful) create different help contents for separate pages, like WordPress has? (When you are on Add New Post page, it shows tips for adding new post, when you are on comments page, it shows how to edit, delete, etc. comments and so on).

There's not a way to separate the content like that, it could be done with a bit of extra coding.

8) I am going to add custom gateway to MarketPress, but I will open a detailed topic in related place (I have some questions here).

Yep, this will best be done in a thread of its own.

9) MarketPress - Is this problem resolved in current version? To say truth, I don't think that it's problem, moreover - I need that kind of functionality on my network in order to control every order made on my sub-sites (shops).

Yes it is!

10) MarketPress - I would be very happy to learn how to integrate MarketPress (basic rules) with different themes. I will open detailed thread about that too.

Sure thing! :)

11) AntiSplog - will 1 membership account work for 3 Multisites? (I am going to run 3 Multisites in nearest future and will my membership be enough for those three?).

Yeah, that shouldn't be a problem. The Anti-Splog works totally off the API key which I don't see any limits on the use of.

12) MarketPress - I need custom currency, custom gateway I will open a detailed topic about that.

Sure thing!

13) Chat plugin - This amazing plugin doesn't have UTF-8 support. I am trying to write in Georgian and it shows one cubic or "?".

If you wouldn't mind posting that in the feedback forum we'll check that one out with the developers.

Cheers,
    David

kshengelia

Hi David,

Thanks for your quick and detailed answer (this support was one thing which I missed most I think)!

I will open custom threads for what you have asked me to. Let's wait for others to discuss other questions together, or should I open new threads for them too?

Thanks,

Kote

DavidM

And taking a look at your further questions!

1) I know you are running second largest multisite (edublogs.org) and that's why I am interested with your suggestions. I would like to restrict SOMEHOW registering all nice domains without using them (for example some users can register all good domains and then sell them, or just not use them). I can add a paragraph in TOS that selling is prohibited, but what about using? For example, "If you don't use your newly-created domain for a month, it will be available for everyone and you won't be able to re-register it in next 6 months or something. So I would like to have suggestions from your huge experience.

I'm not sure of that myself. Sounds like a neat idea to me, but there are things to consider, like someone being on vacation for a full month and being unable to pay for that domain name, then losing it. I'll ask about that over here too, see what others have to say.

2) SSL certificating - As I have said above, I am going to run 3 (Maybe more in future) WP Multisites and I am going to secure each of them with SSL wildcard certificates.
    I have basic questions here - what should I take into account about SSL certificating, what should I be aware of and etc.

3) Domain Mapping and SSL certificates. - I have read some topics here and developer of Domain Mapping plugin have said that Domain Mapping doesn't support SSL certificate. At first, I was bit disappointed about that, then I remind that WordPress.com blogs were secured with SSL, so I have found one "domain-attached" blog and went to it's "/wp-login.php" and it redirected to what I thought - subdomain/wp-login.php. So I think there should be no problem for us too. What do you think?

4) SSL Certificates - Which wildcard should I choose? For example, is it OK to choose "True BusinessID Wildcard"?

These questions warrant a thread of their own as there's a bit of ground to cover there, so if you'd like to post that to a new thread, we'll have a look. Just to start, there's some discussion on that at the following thread:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-to-100-ssl-wordpress

5) Is 133 Theme Pack updated after discovering TimThumb vulnerability? (And your other themes?)

Yep!

6) I am going to hire WPSecurity.com as my security developer (I am not advertising it). It is really important for me what you think about this site & group? Have you heard about them before?

I haven't heard of them myself but I'll ask around here and see if anyone else has.

7) Is it OK (I think it is, just making sure) to run some stand-alone sites and some Networks on same server?

I do that with my own sites, but I wouldn't necessarily advise that. My sites are typically very small so they wouldn't be a problem running like that but any site with serious traffic, I'd think you wouldn't want other sites on the same service eating into the traffic quota.

Cheers,
    David

kshengelia

I'm not sure of that myself. Sounds like a neat idea to me, but there are things to consider, like someone being on vacation for a full month and being unable to pay for that domain name, then losing it. I'll ask about that over here too, see what others have to say.

That is exactly what confuses me - How can I oblige someone to post at least one entry per day/week/month - it won't be best choice.

These questions warrant a thread of their own as there's a bit of ground to cover there, so if you'd like to post that to a new thread, we'll have a look. Just to start, there's some discussion on that at the following thread:

Ok, I'll join that thread.

I do that with my own sites, but I wouldn't necessarily advise that. My sites are typically very small so they wouldn't be a problem running like that but any site with serious traffic, I'd think you wouldn't want other sites on the same service eating into the traffic quota.

So, this is just traffic related task.

Thanks,

Kote

Mason

Hiya Kote,

Welcome back. That's quite a post you have here ;)

Two quick thoughts:
    For akismet (and I think for the video plugin by automattic as well) you can put a define in your wp-config.php that will automatically enable it on all your sub-sites (you'd still have to 'network activate' them, but they'll be available to all your sub-sites without need for entering in API credentials).

It would be something like this:

/** Define WordPress.com API Key */
    define('WPCOM_API_KEY','yourapikeyhere');

Note that using the above without a proper license to do so violates their terms of service and could get you banned if they catch ya.

I would like to restrict SOMEHOW registering all nice domains without using them (for example some users can register all good domains and then sell them, or just not use them). I can add a paragraph in TOS that selling is prohibited, but what about using? For example, "If you don't use your newly-created domain for a month, it will be available for everyone and you won't be able to re-register it in next 6 months or something. So I would like to have suggestions from your huge experience.

This has come up from time to time in the forums, though I can't find the threads right off. drmike would know... but we don't do this on edublogs.org and it's not done on wordpress.com either. In general, extra or unused blogs aren't going to hurt the site performance much and the time/energy for maintaining this (plus the headache that could come from disabling someone's blog without their knowledge) makes me personally feel it's not worth it.

As I know, Membership plugin isn't working with Pro Sites (Beta) yet, is it planned to make them working together in full version of Pro Sites (I think it is, but just making myself sure)?

What integration are you looking for? In what scenario would you need both to work together?

I agree with David that the SSL questions merit their own threads (and we also have several previous threads on this issue). The first thing to consider is if you only wanting to secure the admin or the front-end as well - but let's discuss that elsewhere.

Hope this helps. Thanks!

kshengelia

Hi masonjames,

Note that using the above without a proper license to do so violates their terms of service and could get you banned if they catch ya.

I think I am not going to do something that violates terms of service, because:

Akismet - I am purchasing "Unlimited Blogs" license (50$/mo) I just needed to activate it on all blogs painlessly.

What integration are you looking for? In what scenario would you need both to work together?

I am looking for integration described in Membership plugin page - I just would like Supporter (paid) blogs to have this plugin. So I'd like Membership to be just premium plugin, that's all.

This has come up from time to time in the forums, though I can't find the threads right off. drmike would know... but we don't do this on edublogs.org and it's not done on wordpress.com either. In general, extra or unused blogs aren't going to hurt the site performance much and the time/energy for maintaining this (plus the headache that could come from disabling someone's blog without their knowledge) makes me personally feel it's not worth it.

Yes, unused blogs doesn't hurt traffic or something but I am talking about more important thing that traffic is - for example, someone can register domain "post" (which is one of the most attractive domain names) and don't use it, and another, real "passionate" blogger, who is going to create a wonderful blog, should choose post2113xdsa92.eblog.ge (for example) you know. That's the problem, not traffic.

Rest is clear.

Thanks for your useful reply,

Kote

Mason

Hiya Kote,

I'd like Membership to be just premium plugin, that's all.

This is already possible with Membership and Pro Sites :) No problem there.

someone can register domain "post" (which is one of the most attractive domain names) and don't use it, and another, real "passionate" blogger, who is going to create a wonderful blog, should choose post2113xdsa92.eblog.ge

Yeah, I can see that being a problem, but to me it's the same issue that's currently faced by folks throughout the web. Same thing happens with usernames. I like to try and have the same username wherever I go, but sometimes someone else gets it before me. That's the way it goes. You could always moderate this on a case-by-case basis, but it would seem to me that most people understand that this is the way things work on the web.

wpcdn

Which is better and why? (SEO)

I don't know about SeoPress Pro, but with WPMU DEV SEO we're seeing sites listed high in Google within a couple of hours.

For example, can I allow my users to use my API key? (VideoPress)

I wouldn't recommend that. Depending on what you want to do video-wise, that solution might be more than you need.

Akismet solution for WP MS

TypePad AntiSpam is similar to Akismet, is free, and can run with a modified version of the Akismet plugin, available in these forums. It works fine with multisite, and you can embed the API key in the plugin to automatically activate the service on each sub-site.

Domain Mapping doesn't support SSL certificate.

This is true unless you get a special type of SSL which is somewhat expensive and hard to set up (UCC multi-domain, I think it's called).

We use a wildcard SSL with domain mapping so that users can still get secure access to their admin area using our domain and not their mapped domain. Don't overpay for wildcard SSL...the basic cert is fine. You should be able to get one for around $80-$90 if you look.

Is it OK (I think it is, just making sure) to run some stand-alone sites and some Networks on same server?

It totally depends on the server capabilities and the size/resources of the sites and networks.

Good luck,

Mark

kshengelia

Hello,

Thanks masonjames. That's very popular problem. For example, local E-mail service was opened few weeks ago and first registered names were - info, support, admin, help (of course none of them belonged to admins) :D

TypePad AntiSpam is similar to Akismet, is free, and can run with a modified version of the Akismet plugin, available in these forums. It works fine with multisite, and you can embed the API key in the plugin to automatically activate the service on each sub-site.

Wow, that was updated 3 years ago. Still, if it's working, why not? Thank you.

As to SSL - you mean that users will use not subdomain.site.com/wp-admin but site.com/wp-admin (as this works too), yes?

In this case, you are right, standard SSL will be enough.

So, thank you both guys,

Kote

wpcdn

Also consider sucuri.net.

Join 370632 happy members

Get access to our entire collection of epic plugins, astonishing themes & genius support

Become a member