Problem using wp_mail function in WPMU

I added this line to my wpmu-functions.php file at the end of the newuser_notify_siteadmin function

$headers = 'From: Calvin Micklefinger <calvinmicklefinger@hotmail.com>' . "\r\n\\";
   wp_mail('kirk@mydomain.com', 'subject', 'message', $headers);

I would have expected that as simple as that is, the email "From" would have said

Calvin Micklefinger <calvinmicklefinger@hotmail.com>

As limited as my coding skills are, I really don't see much choice for any other response.

What I got was

"accountingpractitioner.com" <calvinmicklefinger@hotmail.com>

Why in the Sam Hill is that happening? Where do I look to find a solution? This is also disrupting a very solid and well respected plugin I use.

Aaron
    • 802 pts
      9,088 pts
      LEVEL 27

Did you try just using a plugin to filter the from name/email?

Kirk Ward
    • 70 pts
      1,010 pts
      LEVEL 8

Not sure what you mean or what a filter would accomplish.

My goal is to send an email to my autoresponder to subscribe the new user to a campaign series as soon as their blog is activated.

No one has been able to suggest a method.so I am trying to learn and I figured the best place to do it would be to do it at the same time as the admin notifications are sent.

Tried copying that notification and duplicating it, but I didn't get a second email. At least using this I got an email.

Got any suggestions?

Aaron
    • 802 pts
      9,088 pts
      LEVEL 27

You can do it via plugin tying into the 'wpmu_new_blog' action. Though you will have to figure out the wp_mail header issue still at least you won't be modifying core files. There is an example in the antisplog plugin.

Kirk Ward
    • 70 pts
      1,010 pts
      LEVEL 8

While waiting for my hosting company to respond, I did a bunch of Googling ... not knowing what the words meant. I kept running across the word filter, wp_mail_from and wp_mail_from_name

In that confusion, I wound up looking at stuff I did not understand, but wound up in the midst of pluggable.php and reading a thread at http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/12851 which discussed the filter in pluggable.

Can you explain those things to me and if they are causing the name to be changed?

Cheers and Cheerios

Aaron
    • 802 pts
      9,088 pts
      LEVEL 27

tie into the filters does that not work?

Kirk Ward
    • 70 pts
      1,010 pts
      LEVEL 8

I have no clue how to tie into filters or what that even means.

Clue?

Kirk Ward
    • 70 pts
      1,010 pts
      LEVEL 8

http://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API#Filters

Aaron, old buddy, old pal, can you say "That's all Greek to me"? I am still totally lost. Guess it's time to shell out money to correct what appears to be a WPMU feature (or bug). Money which I doesn't got. That's so sad. Sob.

Kirk Ward
    • 70 pts
      1,010 pts
      LEVEL 8

@joshmac - I had been looking for that plugin to try. I will report back as yea or nay.

Kirk Ward
    • 70 pts
      1,010 pts
      LEVEL 8

@joshmac - Thanks, but it only allows an admin to set the defaults. What I need is for WPMU to allow emails to be sent with the "from" address formatted to identify the actuall submitter.

Think of an application such as a "Contact Form," or one of those spammy "Tell A Friend" applications where the email goes out with the name entered into the submission form.

Kirk Ward
    • 70 pts
      1,010 pts
      LEVEL 8

http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_mail

Hi Aaron,

That post is where I found the code I used in my original post to this thread.

I have looked at the anti-splog.php file and tried to understand it. There are two instances of wp_mail, and I do not understand them beyond the code I used in the original post. I used the second one as my model when I copied the code from the coex post.

I don't want to waste any more of your time on a singular need (mine alone). Best I find a coder who knows how to do stuff ... I sure don't feel qualified to even follow instructions.

Oh what a poor lost soul. Wailey, wailey, wailey.

Kirk Ward
    • 70 pts
      1,010 pts
      LEVEL 8

Solution found.

Use mail() instead of wp_mail()

Kirk Ward
    • 70 pts
      1,010 pts
      LEVEL 8

This all got started because if a contact form I was trying to use. I had not been able to get one to work as well as the "Fast and Secure Contact Form" by Mike Challis. However, I wanted the email to identify the sender in the "from" portion of the header and the WPMU filters were blocking this.

Last night I advised Mike of the WP Trac regarding this issue and he modified his code to include filters to handle the wp_mail problem. While it is specific to his implementation, I am including some of the code he changed in the hope it will benefit others.

$header = '';
          // prepare the email header
          if ($ctf_email_on_this_domain != '') {
             // $header =  "From: $ctf_email_on_this_domain" . PHP_EOL;
             $this->si_contact_mail_from = $ctf_email_on_this_domain;
             add_filter( 'wp_mail_from', array(&$this,'si_contact_form_mail_from'));
          } else {
             // $header = "From: $name <$email>" . PHP_EOL;
             $this->si_contact_mail_from = $email;
             $this->si_contact_from_name = $name;
             add_filter( 'wp_mail_from', array(&$this,'si_contact_form_mail_from'));
             add_filter( 'wp_mail_from_name',
    array(&$this,'si_contact_form_from_name'));
          }

function si_contact_form_mail_from() {
     return $this->si_contact_mail_from;
    }

function si_contact_form_from_name() {
     return $this->si_contact_from_name;
    }

JOIN 387973 HAPPY MEMBERS

We pride ourselves on our level of customer support and responsiveness to member requests. Your WordPress experience will never be the same

Become a member

• PayPal Partner