Product images in MarketPress - issue ...

Hi. I created the uplaod .csv file for MarketPress, and used FTP to put the product images in the desired location. It worked (great!) ... and each product had an image.

BUT I needed to change all the product descriptions so I deleted the products (and emptied trash too), edited the .csv file, and tried again ... all worked EXCEPT it didn't generate product images. So I deleted the products etc as before, AND deleted all the images which WordPress had generated in /uploads/09, then tried again. Once more it did not generate the product images.

So I did all the above again, AND this time carefully edited the mySQL database for reference to the previously created products in <post> and <postmeta> and tried again. Still no product images generated.

So I did all of the above and have contacted you guys :- )

I'm sure I'm missing something very obvious!

Suggestions welcome ...

aristath

Hello there @esidarap,
    Can you please make sure that the images have been deleted from the media library in WordPress and that there is nothing in the trash for products and media?

Please advise,
    Ari.

esidarap
    • Elite
    • #1,160

Hi Ari.

Thanks for the quick response. No Trash in media, no Trash in products. Have to visit a client right now, will check back for e-mails in about an hour.

Thanks,

Martin

esidarap
    • Elite
    • #1,160

Hi again. Any further suggestions please?

aristath

Hello again @esidarap,
    Could you please post your CSV file here so that I may test this on my installation?

Cheers,
    Ari.

esidarap
    • Elite
    • #1,160

Hi Ari

As requested ...

Many thanks,

Martin

esidarap
    • Elite
    • #1,160

Back in a moment - the file was 160Kb and it was rejected ...

esidarap
    • Elite
    • #1,160

I'll try again ... see attached as requested. <50Kb this time.

Many thanks,

Martin

esidarap
    • Elite
    • #1,160

Almost ready to give up Ari. The file upload is still rejected. Seems your system won't accept the CSV file ... but if I change it to a .txt file then the whole point of you testing it is wasted ... please advise ...

aristath

@esidarap
    Try renaming the file to .txt and upload it...
    I'll rename it back to csv once you upload it.

Cheers,
    Ari.

esidarap
    • Elite
    • #1,160

Here goes :- )

Many thanks,

Martin

aristath

I just talked to our server support gurus...
    They are doing some maintenance which is probably why you can't upload your files right now.
    You can try uploading your file somewhere else and then post a link to it here...
    Dropbox for example.

Cheers,
    Ari.

esidarap
    • Elite
    • #1,160

Here goes again ...

Many thanks,

Martin

esidarap
    • Elite
    • #1,160

Any suggestions please? I feel 'out on a limb' at the moment. Surely, if you delete products in MarketPress it shouldn't be so difficult to re-list the same products after changes have been made? The intention is for circa 20,000 products and so I can't be messing around like this each time there are deletions and re-listings (because I have to be able to do things 'in bulk').

Re-listing products is working, its simply that there are no product images!

aristath

@esidarap
    I just tried importing the CSV file and I can confirm that the images are not imported.
    However I noticed that on your CSV you're using relative URLs instead of absolute URLs for the images of the products...
    Where are these images located? The main issue here is that the importer can't locate the images and so it doesn't import them.

Can you convert those to absolute? For example /image.png should be http://domain.com/image.png

Let me know if that works...

Cheers,
    Ari.

esidarap
    • Elite
    • #1,160

Hi. Thanks, but the instructions suggest not using absolute, so I didn't :- ) The images are 'in' the same install of MarketPress, as expected. As I've said, the FIRST time I install a group of products, ALL work okay, with images. (So the image column is correct :- ) The problem is IF I then have to delete some products (in bulk), edit the descriptions for example, and bulk upload the products again ... then the images don't appear.

So yes, I can easily convert to the absolute addressing but that isn't the issue, sorry.

Thanks, Martin

esidarap
    • Elite
    • #1,160

To clarify, the images are correctly located, as per this instruction in Store Settings/Importers, and relative to the uploads folder:

"To import featured images, it is preferable to upload them via FTP to a directory in your WP uploads folder: /mounted-storage/xxx/xxx/xxx/victorianmetalsigns.co.uk/wp-content/uploads. Image paths should be relative to the uploads folder... "

My xxx's for security :- )

esidarap
    • Elite
    • #1,160

Thanks for getting back to me again Ari.

I think we've found the problem. The images were there, I put them there using FTP AND the first time I created the products the product images were created etc, thumbnails too. Then as you know, the problems started.

Is there a setting in MarketPress (or WordPress) which might have caused them to be deleted ... since NONE of the ones relating to the test bulk upload are there anymore. All others are, just those used in the first successful bulk upload are NOT there.

I haven't removed them.

I've replaced them now, for you to test as requested, but that is clearly the problem - what might be removing them?

Might you do the upload, then delete the products, then try see if the images are still there (or let me know and I'll check again).

Many thanks for your persistence with this.

Sorry if I'm missing the obvious somewhere.

Martin

aristath

@esidarap
    If you deleted the media files from WordPress then the images would have also been deleted from your server.
    Since I'm not on your own server though and I'm locally I'll need to use absolute URLs to get the images. What is the URL that your images are using so that I may test this properly on my server?

Cheers,
    Ari.

esidarap
    • Elite
    • #1,160

Hi Ari

The one you tried, e.g. http://www.victorianmetalsigns.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/96dpiproductimages/Victorian_Accessory_Fans_01_Digital_Product_Image_96dpi.jpg

So the fault is mine (!) ... I simply need to re-upload the images using FTP if I first have to delete them from within WordPress.

It seems obvious now! I think its because for other sites, in the past, I've used an image depository on a specific domain (which I populate using FTP) and use absolute addressing in the bulk upload for MarketPress; and on those occasions I've deleted products the problem hasn't arisen once I've removed the images from WordPress of course. i.e. they still remain in the depository. Perhaps I should go back to that system? Or simply have them in a directory outside of WordPress?

If you can contact me directly with your e-mail address I've a voucher I'd like to e-mail to you to claim a free product I'll post out to you (from a new WordPress site we've just uploaded this weekend). You have been so patient with me. Thank you.

: - )

Best wishes,

Martin

aristath

@esidarap
    I'm glad you managed to figure this one out!

As for the voucher you mentioned above, there's no need for that. I was just doing my job!

Take care,
    Ari.

Join 370541 happy members

Get access to our entire collection of epic plugins, astonishing themes & genius support

Become a member