Questions regarding Buddypress/Membership workflow

Hello,

I just finished reading your Membership plugin manual and I have some questions:

My site has buddypress (and bbpress) installed and I will always want my users to choose a free or paid Membership plan.

Which one should be the registration form to use, the buddypress one or the membership plugin one? Always?

In case it is the Membership one, can the Membership form have the custom buddypress fields? Does it share them with buddypress?

Or it must be a 3 part register? ie: Membership form ---> paypal ---> thank you page ---> buddypress profile update? Please let me know the register workflow.

Once registered, who takes care of the user login; wordpress, buddypress or Membership?

Tank you for your help,
Luciano

Patrick

Hi @lucianoippolito

Or it must be a 3 part register? ie: Membership form ---> paypal ---> thank you page ---> buddypress profile update? Please let me know the register workflow.

That is the exact workflow :)

Which one should be the registration form to use, the buddypress one or the membership plugin one? Always?

Membership has its own internal process for registration. So, for it to work, WordPress registration must be disabled. Therefore, as BuddyPress registration is dependent on WordPress, you must use the Membership registration form.

...can the Membership form have the custom buddypress fields? Does it share them with buddypress?

No. BuddyPress profile fields do not integrate with Membership at this time. It would be a nice feature to see though :)

Once registered, who takes care of the user login; wordpress, buddypress or Membership?

The login functions are separate from registration and are a basic function of WordPress.

Hope this helps! And thanks for being a member :)

lucianoippolito

Hey Patrick,

Thank you for your responses and sorry to bother you again, I have more questions:

1. How do I disable the wordpress registration, at general settings unticking "Anyone can register"?

2. Still I don't have very clear how the user login works, is it possible to login via wordpress or buddypress or the login is always managed by wordpress?

3. If the login is managed by wordpress how is it possible to use dedicated buddypress or, in my case, wishlist member login widgets in the header or the sidebars? Are they just using wordpress login but overriding the ugly wordpress login screen (http://www.mysite.com/wp-login.php)?

Thank you again,
    Luciano

TerryG

Membership has its own internal process for registration. So, for it to work, WordPress registration must be disabled. Therefore, as BuddyPress registration is dependent on WordPress, you must use the Membership registration form.

Huh?
    If BuddyPress reg is dependant on WordPress reg, but you have to turn off registration in WordPress to get Membership to work, then how does BuddyPress work?

Patrick

Hiya @TerryG

Lol. Yah, that wasn't very clear was it? Lemme see if I can do better this morning... :)

BuddyPress will recognize the creation of a user, whether that user is created directly via WP, or a plugin like Membership... which kinda hijacks the whole process using some background wizardry I'm not too familiar with :)

@lucianoippolito

1. Exactly.
    2 & 3. Yes, login is handled by WordPress. Some plugins will offer different styling, but they pretty much all use the default WP login procedure.

TerryG

Hmmm. The "anyone can register" box is still ticked on my site and BuddyPress and Membership signup works just fine.

So I have Membership > select a subscription (free or paid) > Welcome page. The only BuddyPress profile item filled in is the Name. I plan to have several custom fields added later. So since they signed up through membership, nothing BuddyPress-wise has happened yet, right? (except that they are automatically added as a BuddyPress member?)

I'm thinking to add a link in the Welcome page and instructions to then go fill out the rest of the BuddyPress Profile. Any other thoughts or suggestions on that?

Patrick

Hi @TerryG

I'm thinking to add a link in the Welcome page and instructions to then go fill out the rest of the BuddyPress Profile. Any other thoughts or suggestions on that?

You'll find some useful (and maybe interesting) tips in an article I wrote a while back on WPMU.org: http://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/wordpress-login-page-sidebar-login/

The article covers how to make a members-area widget, but the shortcodes you generate to do that can be used in pages & posts too.

Hope you find it useful :)

PC

Closing as the original requester is no longer an active member.

Cheers
    PC

Join 372423 happy members

Get access to our entire collection of epic plugins, astonishing themes & genius support

Become a member