Random Theme

How would I have WPMU install a random theme from the 100 theme pack when a blog is activated.

Thanks

-Brad

Andrew
    • Erstwhile founder

Hiya,

You would need a custom plugin for that I'm afraid. Our default theme plugin would be a decent starting point though.

Thanks,
    Andrew

btray77

Cool, I didn't even notice that plugin, should not be to hard to figure out.

-Brad

btray77

I was able to create a plug for this, if anyone wants it let me know. I was thinking about publishing.

-Brad

Kristina

Brad, I am very interested in that plugin. Setting a random theme makes perfect sense really.

drmike

Gotta admit that I'm against the idea. Not for anything negative towards folks here. I'm glad you got it working for you and I'll go bounce this off of my own clients but knowing how most new users operate and how comfortable they are using the software, throwing out another variable is just going to confuse them.

ie "How come Smith has the duckie theme and I don't?!?!?!?!? I want the duckie theme!!!!!"

Like the idea though. Just not for me.

Andrew
    • Erstwhile founder

I have to agree on this one. Overall I think it's best to start everyone off with the same theme.

Thanks,
    Andrew

drmike

Widgets also. Some themes remove certain widgets or replace them with their own versions. Thought of that on my walk to the library.

Kristina

in my case I don't have to deal with that user wants a duckie theme issue. I am using my own set of controlled themes and the idea works perfect. In case where

"How come Smith has the duckie theme and I don't?!?!?!?!? I want the duckie theme!!!!!"

It is most likely not a great idea.... lol

Kristina

Brad, you said you were able to create a plugin for this... would you be able to share...

let me know

Kristina

I am still interested in this type of plugin :S

Andrew
    • Erstwhile founder

It wouldn't be all that hard to create a plugin for this. However, we'll need more than two members to express interest before we take a look at coding it.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Kristina

Could this be derived from the default-theme one? If so I would be willing to take a look at it and maybe have it coded myself or drop a buck to someone who can spend a little time on making it :) It would be a highly useful plugin for me and I am sure some other people too.

Andrew
    • Erstwhile founder

The default theme plugin could be adapted but it would be just as much work to do that as it would be to create a new plugin really.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Kristina

It wouldn't be all that hard to create a plugin for this.

How much is the same amount of work....

Andrew
    • Erstwhile founder

I can't provide a time estimate I'm afraid.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Kristina

Any emerging possibility of the Random Theme happening?

Thanks,
    Kristina

Andrew
    • Erstwhile founder

I'm afraid we really haven't had much interest in such a plugin.

Thanks,
    Andrew

James Farmer
    • Staff

Yeh, sorry about that :( It's just one of those things where we have to prioritize :(

Join 366024 happy members

Get access to our entire collection of epic plugins, astonishing themes & genius support

Become a member