Saving IP-address and timestamp for single and double optin

Hi,

is it possible to saving ip-address and timestamp for single and double optin for each user subscribed to my newsletter list? In Germany it is a MUST to provide this information in case a user requests to know which information are stored on our machines and even more important when the user did register via double optin process.

Best regards,
Oliver

Timothy

Hi Oliver and welcome to WPMU Dev

is it possible to saving ip-address and timestamp for single and double optin for each user subscribed to my newsletter list?

I'm sorry but I don't believe that is currently a feature of this plugin.

Would anyone else like to see this as a feature? Please add your +1 if so.

In Germany it is a MUST to provide this information in case a user requests to know which information are stored on our machines and even more important when the user did register via double optin process.

Are these specific German laws for websites?

I would have thought we would share similar regulations throughout Europe but I don't recall reading or hearing about having to record their IP and Timestamp. I would appreciate a link to such policies. In English if possible but German is fine also. :-)

Because IPs can be spoofed, changed and masked so easily, I would not have thought a legal requirement to record such details could exist. It is impossible to track users reliably through IP.

I would appreciate any details of the policy though. :-)

aecnu

Greetings Tim and Oliver :-)

I am +1 for this project though I currently and have for years use Get Response for our Double Opt In Lists - and idiots still complain we spam them but as the third party list holder Get Response rebuffs them.

This would be a helpful weapon to combat these exact type of crapola but as Tim mentioned ..... spoofing etc. plus Dynamic IP's make this unreliable evidence. but of course what else do we got???

I would love to see the German law myself on this since those in power do not follow the law anyway.

A couple years ago I read the Lisbon Treaty front to back and there was nothing regarding this issue (email lists and IP's) that I recall.

In addition, via the Lisbon Treaty Germany is not a country anymore - it is a Province of the EU just like the rest of all the others that make up the EU.

Of course Merkozie and the rest of the Eurocrats can simply go to back to hell where they came from as far as this Bulgarian resident is concerned and take their Dictatorship comprised of their unelected EU President and EU Commission with them.

The USSA Police State is already there waiting for them .....

Oh yes by the way you can now report me the "Homeland InSecurity" ..... Sieg Heil

Oooppsss ..... got off topic ..... lmao

Joe :-)

Oliver75
    • #9,314

Hi Timothy,

here is one article commenting on german court decissions regarding the obligation to save together with double opt-in e-mail also timestamp and ip address as well as the referring url. Further you even have to capture the content of the landingpage including disclaimer, opt-in text, text of emails etc.

For e-mail marketer you are always on jeopardy if you can't proof where and how you have collected an email address.

If you need more articles, there are plenty available over the years. Just to make it clear: by law there is no exact procedure written down that you have to follow. But over the time a standard decission making has been shown as standard requirements by german jurisdiction even though some courts decide differently - meaning that you have to show the original printed out double opt-in email. This may sound crazy but it is like it is.

Thanks,
    Oliver

@Joe: that's not a response grown ups would expect... how poor!
    http://www.optivo.de/campfire/der-bgh-bestatigt-das-double-opt-in-verfahren-wirft-dabei-aber-neue-fragen-auf/

aecnu

Greetings Oliver75 :-)

Grown up under what?

Grow up as a free thinking, liberty bearing, well educated non sheeple and you can see REALITY and the TRUTH behind the smoke screen of liars.

and in your own words "by law there is no exact procedure written down that you have to follow"

They arbitrarily decide who will be prosecuted and whom will not for possibly violating the unwritten procedure one did not follow?

No reflection on you Oliver, but considering the statement above about the so called law and the courts - it is clear that they have not grown up :-)

Joe :-)

Timothy

Hey again.

If you need more articles, there are plenty available over the years. Just to make it clear: by law there is no exact procedure written down that you have to follow. But over the time a standard decission making has been shown as standard requirements by german jurisdiction even though some courts decide differently

Seems odd to me that courts decide differently with no actual written laws........ That would make them a law unto themselves. No set standards so each person could be identical in their case but one could be fined and the other not.

Doesn't like like a just legal precedence to me, but that is just my opinion.

We'll pop this into the feature request forum and see if others want such a feature improvement. We take community feedback on board and the more popular a request the better potential it has of making it into the code.

As there is not apparently written legal law, I don't think it is a requirement of the plugin but it most certainly is a valid and valuable request.

Take care.

Oliver75
    • #9,314

Hi Timothy,

I'll drop it as a feature request. Just to add... in written law it says that you would need a confirmation from the user. But it isn't specified more in detail how. Still the courts require a double opt-in. If you just come along with a single or confirmed opt-in you will not meet the courts requirement.
    Just to show you that by law they won't write you down what to do - lawyers have to interpret it. That's how it is in Germany - you need double opt-in inlcuding timestamp and ip to be on the save side or to be as save as possible even there is no 100%.

Cheers,
    Oliver

Timothy

Hey again.

I've passed your request on to the developer earlier in the thread.

Thought I would just let you know. :-)

Take care.

JOIN 378498 HAPPY MEMBERS

We pride ourselves on our level of customer support and responsiveness to member requests. Your WordPress experience will never be the same

Become a member

• PayPal Partner