• Themes
  • Created On ,
  • Most Recent By evandowen,

Scholar home page needs either right sidebar, or activity stream with left sidebar

There have been several posts in the past 6 months on this same general subject, but no complete answer to this question. All these post authors would be satisfied IF the excellent Scholar Theme included two additional options.

First, here are the options I recommend for Scholar:
1. An option to turn off Spotlight and replace it with a real right-column where I can add widgets.
2. An option to select an Activity Stream page (as in Settings-Reading) that has a built-in left-column as now exists on the default home page.

Second, lacking the above options, here is my specific request for information:

Question: How can I modify home.php and any associated file (after copying them to the child folder) so I can replace the Spotlight function with a real right-column that can accept widgets?

Thanks,

Ed

Tammie

@exberry: As I've been answering all of the Scholar theme queries on the whole I'm not aware of any great member requests for this feature in fact you're the only one whose been saying it - that aside I have given responses to everything you've asked so claiming I've not is a little misleading, Lets progress from there though with facts and find a solution shall we? We do not plan to change as currently we are not adding new functions to the theme it's not a bug it's a feature request. We also need more than one member requesting usually.

All that said we are more than happy to work with you to change things but it's not going to be that easy for you. Ideally unless you feel comfortable editing a lot of files my suggestion would be something like BuddyPress Daily as that has a persistent column there. Alternatively you need to start by editing home.php and move through the site. The easy bit is adding to home.php simply find this:

<div class="h3-background">
    <h3><?php _e( 'Spotlight', 'bp_scholar' ) ?></h3>
    </div>
    <?php query_posts('category_name='. $spotlight_category .
     '&showposts='. $spotlight_amount . ''); ?>
    <?php while (have_posts()) : the_post(); ?>
    	<div class="content-box-inner">
    	<div class="entry">
    	<h4><a href="<?php the_permalink() ?>"
    rel="bookmark" title="<?php _e( 'Permanent Link to', 'buddypress' ) ?>
    <?php the_title_attribute(); ?>"><?php the_title(); ?></a></h4>
    <div class="entry-image-side">
    <span class="attach-post-image" style="height:60px;width:
    170px;display:block;background:url('
    <?php the_post_image_url($spotlight_image_display); ?>')
    center center repeat"> </span></div>																				<?php the_excerpt(); ?>
    																					<a href="<?php the_permalink() ?>" rel="bookmark"
     title="<?php _e('permalink to', 'bp_scholar');?>
    <?php the_title_attribute(); ?>"><?php _e( 'Read more', 'bp_scholar' ) ?>
    </a>																								<hr/>
    	</div>
    		</div>
    		<?php endwhile; ?>

Then you'd need to add in that a widget area using a tutorial like this one:
    http://buddydress.com/2010/04/add-a-widget-anywhere-in-3-simple-steps/
    Now that gets the front page... as for adding throughout the site well this is a complex issue. You see the site itself would require a lot of testing to get this done and that's quite a customisation. You'd be either looking to bring someone in who has experience of customisation or if you feel competent you can do yourself (I do not know your skillset so can't judge that one). It would require probably adding another sidebar but may impact other areas. You can look for instance at activity/index.php where you see a sidebar called. However this would impact a lot of BuddyPress files so maybe you could add in footer.php? It is something that would need exploring by yourself as an advanced customisation but you can follow the format we use for sidebars or in template-3column.php.

evandowen

Hello Tammie,
    I'd LOVE to add a left sidebar to the Activity Stream so that it follows the same format as Groups and Members in the Scholar theme. Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Evan