Trying to Install Wordpress to www.one.com's webhosting serivce, but it doesnt work.

Hello! I just started out with Wordpress and also just got a web hoster for my domain. I have some issues now trying to install Wordpress into it. Ive been trying to figure this out for the last four hours but now i need your help!

So i have downloaded the ZIP file and extracted it to my deskop, tried to open the link file:///C:/Users/Magneto/Desktop/wordpress/wp-admin/install.php. But that doesnt work.
So i try to put in the details of the database name (which seem to be the same as my database username) the password for MySQL login(phpMyAdmin). And so on. But it still doesnt want to work! Any ideas? Please help me out.

Timothy

Hi Callethebest.

I presume thats your desktop then.... It won't do much unless you have php on your machine and either a local or remote DB.

also just got a web hoster for my domain.

You need to upload those files to your hosting provider then access them through your browser. You can set them up there.

So i try to put in the details of the database name (which seem to be the same as my database username) the password for MySQL login(phpMyAdmin).

Do you have your DB configured and ready then?

Or do you need to create that database?

Depending on the setup and control panel this could be done online. I.E. with something like cPanel.

Callethebest
    • #7,396

I presume thats your desktop then.... It won't do much unless you have php on your machine and either a local or remote DB.

You mean i have to download som PHP software, and it could be that thats causing the problem?

Callethebest
    • #7,396

You need to upload those files to your hosting provider then access them through your browser. You can set them up there.
    Is that including all files in the wordpress map? Including the maps in the Wordpress map, like wp-admin, wp-content, wp-includes?

Thanks alot man!

Timothy

Hi again.

Well if your installing a php application on your own computer/desktop then it will need apache and php installed.

But you said you have a hosting provider, so you would just upload that to your host through FTP.

Everything would be uploaded within the WP directory, all files and all folders. These are to go in your websites root directory. If you are not sure what that may be then it would be worth speaking with your host as they would know their setup best.

Hope this helps. :-)

Callethebest
    • #7,396

Hey Timothy!

Think of me as a real beginner, i really don't know anything about how to use this program, or what it now should be called. I'll do a deeper explaination. So i am registered at a webhosting company called One, they have a login section, similar to c-Panel but to me this is way more complicated, unfortunatley. They have all these buttons, Mail Administration, WebCreator, FileManager, Blogg, Advanced, DNS, phpMyAdmin and so on. They don't have any preinstalld wordpress in their panel.

So i tried to follow the 5 minutes installation, which i was recommended from some site. And first of i tried to make a MySQL account, which seemed to me already was created. So i think i have the Account name and password for it, which i put in the wp-config file. Together with that Localhost(which should be the right one for http://www.one.com and Database name, which seemed to be the same as my account name.
    I try to go to my homepage to start the intallation, doesnt work, i try all the other link which should pop up the installer.

Do i have to put all those files i were talking about into the webhosts "FileManager", is it this that could be causing the trouble?

Do i have to install some PHP software, in that case which one?

Really, thanks again!

Edit: And by the way, i use windows as operative system.

Timothy

Hi again.

Do i have to install some PHP software, in that case which one?

Only if you are running this locally. I only mentioned this as you gave a windows file path to your desktop.

Which panel is it they use?

I think the best thing for you to do is read through the WPMU Dev manuals:

http://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-manual/

Go through that first and then once you have your files uploaded you can run through the web installer:

youdomain.com <-- just load up your domain and it should rout you to the installer.

soultouch
    • #19,727

Hi Timothy, I am going to do a virgin install of wpmu on my Justhost account after i have their support Nuke my current mess back to hosting site factory default. The JustHost tech support have no idea what is the preferable way to install wordpress let alone multiuser

I want to know the best practices and tools for implementing the multisite version.
    First, the answer to the question i need the most clarity for.
    WHERE?
    When it is all said and done is it best to have all the files and folders installed directly into the Public_html root directory or into a subfolder in the public_html to keep things neater?

Do i upload the most current version of wordpress into some temp or upload folder and then unzip all into a temp folder, edit the config files, etc. and then drag to final destination....

can i edit the config files before installing
    Should i use Fantastico or some other tool for the intstallation and then the config and other files

or use fantastico or some similar to install wordprss

Timothy

if you need help installing WP or/and with multisite ..I can do .....contact me at foodfriendfinder@gmail.com
    you can pay me by giving something to your local food bank

Thats a very nobel gesture, I applaud such help especially this time of year!!

You sir, are a credit to humanity and give people hope in bleek times!

Hi soultouch

WHERE?
    When it is all said and done is it best to have all the files and folders installed directly into the Public_html root directory or into a subfolder in the public_html to keep things neater?

I would prefer my files and folders bring in the root of the domain, so public_html, htdocs, www (all the same).

Although its possible to stick those in a sub directory, I prefer my users to load the domain and see the site right there. No redirects, window/drop pages or anything else needed.

Do i upload the most current version of wordpress into some temp or upload folder and then unzip all into a temp folder, edit the config files, etc. and then drag to final destination....

You can upload those latest files direct into the public_html folder. Then load the site through the domain name. You can then go through the install process. (this will install single site mode first, then you enable multisite).

You can of course upload the package files and un pack them on your server/hosting account. The choice is yours. cPanel give a file manager which can handle such tasks as well. I'm sure most other admin panels do similar things.

can i edit the config files before installing

If you choose to then yeah. Or you could let the WP installer handle that for you.

Should i use Fantastico or some other tool for the intstallation and then the config and other files

If Fantastico is easier for you then sure go for it. We don't use auto-installers like that. But if it installs WordPress for you then you should not need to mess with the config file.

Same as if you use the WP installer, it should handle what you need.

I have seen people has issues with Fantastico and I'm not sure if it will install a multisite version. I've never tried. I'm also not sure which version of WordPress your Fantasico will install.

Hope this helps. :-)

Join 378322 happy members

Get access to our entire collection of epic plugins, astonishing themes & genius support

Become a member