• Plugins
  • Created On ,
  • Most Recent By Jonathan Potter,

Upcoming Events Widget Should Display More than Current Month

Hey, guys. Couple of issues with the Upcoming Events widget now that I have eab in use with my client:

- Should show more than just what is coming in the current month. That doesn’t make logical sense, especially as one moves to the end of the month. If you are concerned about recurring events gumming up the works, how about having it look forward X number of weeks instead of current month?

- Events that have happened already continue to show in the widget.

- Events are not in chronological order

Arun Basil Lal

Hey Rick,

I did a test run of this plugin, just to be sure and here is what i could see:

- Should show more than just what is coming in the current month. That doesn’t make logical sense, especially as one moves to the end of the month. If you are concerned about recurring events gumming up the works, how about having it look forward X number of weeks instead of current month?

Yes, the plugin shows only events from the current month. Showing up newer events make sense. Registrations could be open long before the event actually occurs.

Events that have happened already continue to show in the widget.

Really? In my test, past events were hidden. Am using the latest version (the one updated today).

Events are not in chronological order

Agreed. And this makes sense too.

I have sent a notification to the developer regarding this. He would respond shortly plus lets see if these features gets added as well :)

Cheers.

rickroberts

Hmm, I really need help with this. Old events are still showing in the Upcoming widget, even when I edit them to be archived.

Arun Basil Lal

Hey Rick,

I just had a chat with the developer and he is working on it. Plus you should expect a quick fix for your specific case sometime soon. Hold on!

rickroberts

Excellent! Thank you. It would also be helpful to know which files he edits so that I don’t have to diff everything. Thanks again. —Rick :)

Arun Basil Lal

I hope he includes that in his reply as well:

@Ve : Rick asks:

It would also be helpful to know which files he edits so that I don’t have to diff everything

sciamannikoo

Any update about the very soon to be released quick fix?

I'm referring in particular to the current month's events limit and to the chronological order issue.

Vladislav

Hello,

The upcoming events widget will list events a bit more into the future then just a month in the latest release (v1.2, just released). By default, the events list is extended to 5 weeks from the current date. The files that hold the relevant changes are lib/class_eab_collection.php and lib/widgets/Upcoming_Widget.class.php.

sciamannikoo

Hello.

I don't get the answer: when the fixes will be released?

And one more thing: why keeping fixed the time range used to list upcoming events?
    Why you just not give us the option to set this value?
    5 weeks aren't still enough to me. We have to enable RSVPs even 6 months before the event start.

Please, let us chose how far in the future the upcoming events must go.

If you release the 5 weeks only option, the plugin will be still useless to me.

Thank you.

Arun Basil Lal

Hey sciamannikoo,

I have made it 54 weeks in the plugin, hope it works for you. Find the edited one attached.

Now, you are going to loose all this in the next update of the plugin, but I hope the user-selection of time gets added to the options.

Let me know if this works.

sciamannikoo

Great!

Thank you Arun: this seems to be a good temporary solution.

I hope the next update will include the feature.

Thanks again.

Arun Basil Lal

Hey sciamannikoo,

Glad it worked. I will discuss with the developer and see if there are any technical issues, there shouldn't me.

Thanks for the cookies you sent me :)

Arun Basil Lal

Hey sciamannikoo,

I had a quick chat with Ve and the reason why there is a 5 week limit is for performance. You might end up having memory issues when you pull in events for the next 54 weeks.

Then we have discussed a possible solution where we set a limit on the number of events that need to be pulled in and a date range, this could work.

So hopefully, you could expect something like that in the next update.

If you end up having memory issues with the temporary fix, open up the files lib/class_eab_collection.php and lib/widgets/Upcoming_Widget.class.php and search for the number "54" and change that to something like "24".

Good luck @sciamannikoo and thanks Ve :)

sciamannikoo

Hello Arun.

I understand the memory issues point and I've another suggestion in this case, that is also related to this other post.

Instead of (or as an alternative to) increasing the week limit, it would be interesting having a way to get events based on a different criteria, regardless how far in the future they are.

For instance, as I've suggested in the post linked above, having a specific meta or a taxonomy to filter events, would solve this matter, so I can show "featured" events, regardless when they will happen and from your side I think it wouldn't affect performances.

Meanwhile I've a small workaround using custom loops, but as I've said, reinventing the wheel is not my style of working and an embedded Event+ feature would be preferred.

Thanks.

Arun Basil Lal

That is an idea, I see that Tim has already taken care of it. We have a logging system where we add these to a list of suggested features and the developer and CTO, Aaron decides which one to include and which one not to.

Lets see.

Thanks!

Jonathan Potter
    • Elite

I'm running into this issue with events more than a month away not appearing, as well. Even though the upcoming events widget seems to support categories and limits events to 10 now, the 5 week limit is still hard coded.

The temporary fix is working for me as well. +1 to have this option built into the plugin.