• Advanced
  • Created On ,
  • Most Recent By Mason,

Wiki Showcase - Show off your sites using the Wiki plugin

When I first started to conceive of a way to use the Wiki plugin for my niche, I wasn't sure exactly what I could do with it and how it would all work. What I wanted was to see what other people where already doing with it. I saw a few examples, but they weren't very good - and nobody with a really good-looking wiki site chimed in. So I'm going to start and hopefully others will follow suit.

========================================
I launched a subsite on my multisite network today that is based around the Wiki plugin.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to Tea
http://hitchhikersguide.teatra.de/

Here's a little bit about some other plugins I used to set it up, with links to see where and how I used them:
Extras for the site
BBpress - This was a no brainer. In addition to the individual discussion areas for each wiki, I thought there needed to be a central discussion area. I may remove this if it never gets used. See it in action.

Sugar FAQS for WordPress - This is one of Pippen Williamson's plugins. I use it on other sites on the network and it works really well. I put some custom styles on it to display my tutorial section on how to use the wiki features on the site. See it in action.

Enhancing Wiki
I used two plugins to enhance the functionality of the Wiki pages themselves, and they work better than I could have hoped for. One dynamically creates a contents section for the article with link anchors, and the other creates very useful footnotes (just like Wikipedia!). Plus, they are both simple for your visitors to use. I would honestly say that these two plugins would be essential for any Wiki installation you create.

You can see the results of them here on one of the main article pages: http://hitchhikersguide.teatra.de/guide/types-of-tea/

Better Anchor Links - This plugin lets you set which heading tag is used to create the links and it inputs and displays the links section in your content automatically, linking to the anchors you created. On my site, I have it set to use h3 headers. Sections of an article can be offset with a header and set as H3 and it automatically add the links and the anchors. It's brilliant.

FD Footnotes - There are about 5 or 6 footnotes plugins in the repository. Some aren't updated, and others are just hard to use. This one automatically creates and displays footnotes at the bottom of the post when you simply add one within the text of the post [1. Something like this will create a footnote and link to the footnote at the end of the post. Very Nice.]

I added some custom styles to control the look and feel of the content both these plugins display. I was intentionally going for a pseudo-wikipedia look.

===========================================
Hopefully this post will inspire others to try something with the Wiki plugin and if you do, or if you already have, share it here and show it off. This is a plugin that is a little harder to conceptualize how to use and deploy it (I put it off for almost 6 months because I couldn't get my head around a website concept for it). Thanks and enjoy!

3SixtyEvolve

Hi Saunt Valerian

Excellent post! And your website is indeed looking very snazzy!

Thank you for sharing this with other members of our Community. I will definitely bookmark this post to my list of favorites.

If you need any support from our side, please don't hesitate to get in touch. I will actually move your post to the Advanced WordPress Discussion Forum so that other members can chime in. This forum is more for plugin support and I don't want your post to get lost in between all the other support issues. I will also make sure that our team see this great example of what you can do with the Wiki Plugin.

Thank you for being a member of our Community! We appreciate it.

Have a good day.

GinaB

Ovidiu

any particular reason for using sugar FAQ and not the WPMUDEV FAQ plugin?
    Just curios as I might need a FAQ plugin soonish...

Saunt Valerian

I bought the Sugar FAQ several months ago and liked it. It's easy to use, fast and the code is solid. Pippin is a skilled coder and I just like his stuff. It's also easy to restyle as I need it for different sites. There are some nice features like visitors being able to us add to it easily (I don't have that feature in place on this install though).

3SixtyEvolve

Just to add to @Ovidiu's post:

WPMU DEV has its own FAQ Plugin available for WordPress Multisite 3.3.1 called 'Support System' (http://premium.wpmudev.org/project/support-system). It has a FAQ and Support Ticket systems available to all your users via the WordPress Admin.

And then we also have the 'Help, Support and FAQ' Free Theme available (http://premium.wpmudev.org/project/help-support-and-faq-theme) for providing help and support, frequently asked questions and building a serious knowledge base.

jonnylons
    • Elite

Excellent job, Saunt! This definitely fills a strong need.

What I would like to know is, what theme did you choose to use? Was there a particular template that you used to give your wiki a plain, easy look? I would like something with no frills so that the content is the focus, too.

How did you set up your pages? I see you have on the right side the wiki articles plug in going along with a log in area in the plug in. When I click on create new account, I get a pop up - how did you do that?

I too have a very specialized niche community that I would like to add the wiki plugin to my multisite. You have a pretty good model established as I kept trying to figure out how to go about this - I was thinking you just create a site that only uses the wiki feature to post articles. Thanks again! Awesome write up, too! I'll definitely contribute my experiences as well!

jonnylons
    • Elite

I am working on implementing the wiki plugin into a Roman history portion of my site. You can see it here:

Romae.org/RomanHistory

I basically am only using the wiki plugin so there will be no posts but only wikis. I used a simple template just so the wikis can be the focus. I have in my sidebar the wiki article plugin.

I am going to try to utilize other extensions, like incorporating my Buddypress social network for discussions but I would like to keep discussions on the wiki. I would like to make it so that anyone can edit but you have to consider spam popping up. Will update.

3SixtyEvolve

Hi @jonnylons

I had a look at your wiki site. Well done! And all the best in getting it set up with BuddyPress and making it 'live'. Look forward to your update.

Have a good weekend!

Gina

PJ

Great website, and very useful description of tools used on your site.

Good showcase "role model"

PJ

Saunt Valerian

@jonnylons - just saw your post, sorry for the late response.

Theme the site is using is Swedish Greys by Nordic Themepark. I created a child them and modded it to my desire.The the visual cues are intended to be reminiscent of Wikipedia and a lot of me detailed styling cues throughout the site come from that (figuring that the cues will make the site more intuitive to users).

That cool registration popup is the BP Ajax Registration plugin from BuddyDev. It's deployed across my entire multisite and allows visitors to quickly become new multisite users from any site on the network. (the wiki site there is just a subsite). The plugin requires buddypress, but folks can sign up right there on the wiki site, and then will be automatically logged in after signup, skipping the email confirmation process. A new visitor can sign up and start editing wikis in just a couple minutes.

infodontics
    • Elite

Please excuse me for registering on your site to peak around at the plugin. I am not a tea drinker. While logged in, I noticed that I (some person you don't know) had the ability to change who can edit a post. Can you turn that off so that users are not able to dictate this? In other words, can I as admin make posts editable by all registered users, but don't allow anyone but admin change these settings?

Also, can registered users be able to upload images to the site? I couldn't see that anywhere. I found an image on your post about the founder and saw it was simply referencing an image hosted on another website.

I agree with everyone else, you have done a fantastic job of setting this site up. Very simple, elegant, and has just the write little bells and whistles to see the passion being the designer!

infodontics
    • Elite

Oh yeah, I like your registration box. When I clicked the "register" button though, nothing happened. When I clicked again it said my username and email were already in the system. Not sure if others have had the same experience. I am in Chrome.

Saunt Valerian

@infodontics - you seem to have uncovered something that I didn't realize. That editing permissions box is visible to anyone who can edit the page. Not sure that is good functionality. I'd prefer to have global control over that (so basically I can set it so that anyone who has an account can edit) and not allow control to the public. Great find, you should open up a new thread and make a feature request for better permissions control.

(note, I'm not using the latest version of Wiki yet, because a recent update broke the site in how the Wiki's are displayed with the table of contents plugin I use - I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot it yet. Because of this, I don't know what the latest version of Wiki offers in terms of permissions).

Also register system I'm using is from BuddyDev, the BuddyPress Ajax Registration. The site you saw is only one site on a Buddypress Multisite network. I have it deployed across the entire network. Registering through it avoids the confirmation email process and immediately logs the user in after registering, which is why you saw the already in the system. It should have given you some feedback after you registered though. Something I may need to look at.

justinesmithies

I have nearly finished incorporating Wiki into my site at http://www.exousialinux.org you can see the wiki under the community menu .
    So far i have made a custom archive template to show the categories index using the plugin multi column tag map .
    I also made a custom categories page so i can list the posts in a certain category using some php and the plugin List category posts.
    I have also customised the css and the incsub_wiki.php and the 404-incsub_wiki.php to fit everything into my theme.

Thanks to the guys at wpmudev i have ditched Mediawiki as i can do what i need with Wiki .

I'll be adding a print page menu to the wiki too so users can have a printable version too.

If anyone needs help just shout.

Mason

Very very nice @justinesmithies! So cool :)

Great to see other member's rockin it with the wiki plugin! Thanks for sharing!