The easiest method of getting files onto your site, and once there, changing them is using a FTP (File transfer protocol) client.
FTP works by transferring files from your computer to your site.
For Mac Users try:
To use your FTP client you will need an FTP address of your site plus login name and password for it. All of it should be in the Login Information email you got after registering your hosting account with your hosting company.
All FTP clients are used in a similar way.
“For additional security, most hosting companies will enable a secure FTP (called SFTP) protocol for your site when asked.SFTP uses SSH to transfer files. Unlike standard FTP, it encrypts both commands and data, preventing passwords and sensitive information from being transmitted in the clear over the network. It is functionally similar to FTP, but must be enabled by your hosting company and then specified in your FTP software. Many WordPress hacks on shared hosting are the results of not using proper SFTP.”
You use FileZilla as follows:
1. Download and install FileZilla
2. Launch FileZilla
3. Enter your domain name, your username and password.
- NOTE: the same username and password that you use to log into your cPanel.
4. Click Quickconnect
5. Once it loads you will see the screen is split into two halves;
a) Left half shows the files on your hard drive
b) Right half shows those on your web server
6. All you need to do is locate the folder you want to install the new files onto your WordPress install on by entering your upload directory — just double click on your root directory (public_html folder if you are using cPanelP) and loctate the required folder.
7. Now locate the files (and/or folders) you want to upload on your hard drive.
8. Uploading is as simple as dragging the required files (and/or folders) from your computer into the correct folder on your install.
- You will notice the transfer progress on the bottom of the screen.
- If all is OK, your FileZilla window will show the files you uploaded on the right when they have finished uploading.
- If you change/update any of the files on your compuer and wish to apply the changes on your website, all you need to do is again to drag-and-drop the desired file to it’s web destination and confirm the prompt window to OVERWRITE the file on the server.