The BuddyPress Default theme is excellent for testing BuddyPress features but is rather bland with limited customization options.
To make your network vibrant you’ll want to install and customize a new BuddyPress theme to complement the feel of your niche area.
Installing new themes is really easy and WPMU DEV BuddyPress themes make customizing extremely simple as all have extensive theme options.
All WPMU DEV themes have been completely tested and customized to work with both WordPress and WordPress Multisite.
The easiest way to install WPMU DEV BuddyPress themes is to use the WPMU DEV dashboard as follows:
The WPMU DEV dashboard is designed to provide one-click installs and upgrades of all WPMU DEV plugins and themes, immediate access to support and the community – all from the comfort of WordPress.
Here’s how to install and use the WPMU DEV dashboard:
1. Download the WPMU DEV dashboard plugin.
2. Unzip the file to extract all files into a folder on your hard drive.
3. Launch FileZilla (refer to these instructions if you are new to FTP).
4. Locate and open up the folder on your computer that contains the wpmudev-updates folder.
5. Open up your plugins folder on your install (located within wp-content folder of your public_html folder).
6. Select the wpmudev-updates folder on your computer and drag it into your wp-content/plugins/ folder to upload the WPMU DEV dashboard to your WordPress directory.
7. Log into your WordPress administration panel and activate the WPMU DEV dashboard
- Go to Plugins > Installed Plugins in the network admin dashboard if you are using WordPress Multisite
- Activate it in Plugins if you are using an single install of WordPress.
8. Go the WPMU DEV > Dashboard and log into your WPMU DEV account.
- Or sign up for an API key if you aren’t an existing WPMU DEV member.
9. Go to WPMU DEV > Themes.
10. Click on Install under a theme to install it directly from inside your dashboard.
11. On a WordPress Multisite your new theme is now installed but isn’t enabled.
12. As Super Admin you have the choice to enable:
- Themes network wide so that all users can use the theme.
- Specific themes on a per site basis.
- Use Pro Sites plugin to offer premium themes for Pro sites only.