To navigate to a group you are a member of you select Groups > Memberships from under Howdy, User in your toolbar or click on Groups in the top navigation.
Then all you need to do is click on the Group you want to visit.
Navigating within a Group
Within a group, the Groups menu has five options:
1. Home – displays the group’s home page where you’ll see all the group’s activity and can post a quick update to the group.
2. Forum – displays the group’s forum page where you can post new topics, read and engage in discussion threads.
3. Members – lists all the current group members
4. Send Invites - this link is only visible if you are a member of a Group. This is used to send invites to join the Group to your friends.
5. Admin - this link is only visible to group administrator and group moderators. It contains all the options for managing the group.
Using the Group Home page
The Group Home page is just like any other activity stream page:
- Lists all activity from within the group
- Allows you to post a quick status update directly onto the Groups activity stream
- Allows you to Reply and/or Favorite activities within the Groups activity stream
However, it also includes a RSS feed so you can subscribe to the Group’s activity using a feed reader such as Google Reader.
Managing Groups using the Group Admin page
The Admin link is only visible to group administrator and group moderators.
It contains all the following options for managing a group:
1. Edit Details – Edit the group names, description and provides the ability to notifiy all members of these changes by email.
2. Group settings - Provides the ability to change the privacy option of the group (i.e. public, private or hidden group) and to enable/disable the discussion forum
3. Group avatar – Provides the ability to change the Group’s avatar
4. Manage members - lists all group members and allows you to remove members or promote/demote members to different group roles
5. Delete Group - Used to delete a group. Use with caution as it deletes everything and deleting a group is permanent. Once a group is deleted it can’t be retrieved.
- Group Moderators can only access Edit Details — all other admin menu options are hidden from Moderators.
- Super Admin users can also edit and delete groups.
Working with a Group Forum
Forums in BuddyPress makes use of a bbPress installation to function.
Before you can use the forums feature in Groups you first need to set up forums.
Group forums are made up of:
- Forum Topics - the proposed subject of a discussion
- Discussion threads – the conversations (replies) that result from the topic
You normally create a New Topic if it is a totally new conversation — otherwise you reply to your own or other group members topics.
To publish a New Topic in a Group forum:
1. Click on the Forum menu item
2. Giving your topic a Title
3. Add the information you want to discuss or share in Content field
4. Add tags
5. Click Post Topic
To reply to a Forum Topic
1. Click on the title of the forum topic you want to reply to
2. Write your reply and click Post Reply