BuddyPress forums are similar to Ning forums except:
- Nings have a discussion forum for their entire ning network and then separate forums for any groups. To post in a group forum you must join that group.
- BuddyPress forums are designed to allow groups to create and manage their own forums; it doesn’t provide a discussion forum for the entire network.
However, members can easily search all public forum topics using the BuddyPress Forums Directory. Any member can post reply to a forum post or start a forum topic in any public group, even if they aren’t a group member — adding a post or replying will auto join them to that group.
Forum topics don’t displayed on the Forum Directory until a group has been created and a forum post has been added to the group.
The BuddyPress Forums Directory
Forums in BuddyPress are attached to groups.
Group forums are made up of:
- Forum Topics - the proposed subject of a discussion
- Discussion threads – the conversations (replies) that result from the topic
The Forum Directory lists all forum topics, by all Groups, created within the community, sorted by the most recemtly active.
Forum topics can easily searched or be filter (by Last Active, Most Repies and Unreplied).
An important aspect to understand about the Forum Directory is that when you add a new Topic on the Forum Directory you must select which Group you want the topic posted in.
Writing a New Topic using the Forum Directory is as simple as:
- Click on New Topic
- Add your Title
- Add your content
- Insert your tags
- Select which Group Forum you want to post in (only displays Groups that you belong to)
- Click Post Topic
Alternatively you can search Forum Topics or click on Forum Topic tags to locate forum topics and reply to them.