Any theme that has not been activated for the entire network can be activated on a site as follows:
1. Locate the site you want to enable specific themes on by searching for the site using Sites in the Network Admin dashboard
2. Once you have located the site click on Edit (hovering your mouse over the domain name brings up the action menu)
3. Click on the Theme tab on the Edit Site page
4. Select the themes you want to make available to this site by either:
- Clicking on Enable below the theme name
- Or selecting all themes you want to enable for the site, then select Enable from the Bulk Actions drop down menu and click Apply.
Only themes that haven’t been enabled across the entire network are shown on this page in the Network Admin Dashboard.
Once enabled the themes will be made available for use by site admin users and be listed in Appearance > Themes in the Site Admin dashboard for that site.
Using Pro Sites Plugin for Premium themes
You can also limit themes on a per site basis using the Pro sites plugin.
The Pro sites plugin allows you to select premium themes for Pro sites only.
The idea is you make the best and nicest themes available on Pro sites so users will want to sign up to access the themes.
It’s as simple as:
1. Install and network activate the Pro sites plugin.
2. Go to Pro Sites > Modules/Gateways in the network admin dashboard.
3. Enable Premium Themes.
4. Go to Pro Sites > Premium themes.
5. Select Pro from the drop down menu next to the theme(s) you want to make available to pro sites only and then click Save Changes.
- Only themes that haven’t been enabled network wide will be listed on this page.
6. Your Premium Themes are listed in Appearance > Themes. Your free users will see a Pro Only link below Premium themes and need to upgrade to Pro to activate the theme.