There are two main options for creating new sites on a WordPress Multisite install:
- Enable users to create their own site using your signup page (e.g. http://example.com/wp-signup.php).
- Super Admin users create all new sites via Sites > Add New in the Network Admin dashboard.
Alternatively sites can be created in batches by installing the following WPMU DEV plugins:
Letting People Register
Enabling registrations so people can sign up for a username and/or site using your signup page is as simple as:
1. Go to Settings > Settings in the network admin dashboard.
2. Select “Both sites and user accounts can be registered”
- Use “Logged in users may register new sites”– if you want to limit site creation to only logged in users using your signup page
- We recommend that you consider using the following options to reduce splogcreations on your network:
- Use Limited Email Registrations to restrict who can signup to specific email domains
- Install Anti-splog plugin
3. Click Save Changes at the bottom of the page.
Adding a link to your Sign-up page on your main site
You need to create a link to your signup page from the front page of your main site so people know where they can register for a site on your network by either:
- Using a theme that includes an option to add a link to your signup page
- Adding a link to your signup page
- Using an admin bar that includes a link to sign up for a site
Your signup page is located at http://example.com/wp-signup.php
Now anyone can sign up as follows using your Sign-up page:
1. Click on Sign-up link
2. This takes you to the sign-up page where you sign up for a username only or username and site.
The signup page on a WordPress Multisite install is located at http://example.com/wp-signup.php whereas on a BuddyPress install it is located at http://example.com/register