For help with installing plugins please refer to our Plugin installation guide.
1. Install the Post Indexer
- The Post Indexer is designed to index posts from the time it is installed on your network and needs to be installed for the Recent Global Posts Feed plugin to work.
- The Post Indexer can’t index posts that were published prior to being installed. i.e. posts published prior to it being installed won’t display in your global post feed.
2. Download the Recent Global Posts Feed plugin file.
3. Unzip the file into a folder on your hard drive.
4. Upload recent-global-posts-feed.php to /wp-content/
- Most plugins are uploaded to /wp-content/plugins/.
- This plugin MUST be uploaded to /wp-content/ using FTP.
- Refer to our FTP guide if you are new to using FTP.
- You can check if it is working correctly by posting some new posts and confirming they appear in your global feed.
- Once installed your new feed is created at:
- You can access feeds for custom post types by using http://yourdomain.com/wp-content/recent-global-posts-feed.php?posttype=customposttype, substituting customposttype with your custom post type
6. Upload widget-recent-global-posts-feed.php to /wp-content/plugins/
- Once uploaded visit Network Admin -> Plugins to Network Activate the Recent Posts Feed Widget
- Your Recent Global Post feed widget is added to Appearance > Widgets of your main site.
- By default, the widget is available only on the main site of your network. This behavior can be changed by following the instructions below to edit your widget-recent-global-feed.php file.
- The Recent Global posts feed is for public posts only. Posts from privates sites don’t appear in the feed.
Enabling Widget for all sites
By default the Recent Global Posts feed widget is only enabled for use by the main site.
You can enable it for all sites on your network as follows:
1. Open up widget-recent-global-posts-feed.php using a text editing program like EditPlus
2. Change ‘yes’ to ‘no’ in the following line:
$recent_global_posts_widget_feed_widget_main_blog_only = ‘yes’;
3. Save your amended widget-recent-global-posts-feed.php and use this file when you upload to wp-content/plugins/
1. Go to Appearance > Widgets
2. Add the Recent Global Post feed widget to your sidebar.
- Your global feed is located at http://yourdomain.com/wp-content/recent-global-posts-feed.php.
- For example, the domain websocialsites.com global post feed is located at http://websocialsites.com/wp-content/recent-global-posts-feed.php/
3. Check out the configuration options below: