BuddyPress Classifieds Component Now Available
Exciting BuddyPress news yesterday is that the eagerly awaited Classifieds component has been released. Current requirements for the plugin are BuddyPress 1.2 and WPMU. The component will be available for use with WordPress single user when WP 3.0 is released with custom post type functions. The classifieds are stored as blog posts. Of course I had to test it out right away. :)
How to Install BuddyPress Classifieds
1. Make sure you have WPMU and BuddyPress 1.2 beta installed.
2. Download BuddyPress Classifieds and upload buddypress-classifieds directory to the wp-content/plugins folder.
3. Move the buddypress-classifieds/theme/classifieds directory to the same directory as your current theme.
4. Activate the plugin sitewide.
5. Create a new WPMU blog where the data will be stored. (This blog cannot be called ‘classifieds’).
6. If you want to have Categories enabled, simply add categories to your newly created blog.
7. Access your main blog. Under Admin > Blogs, edit the newly created blog and set the Public setting to “NO” (this is for removing the blog from the BuddyPress search results).
8. Configure the settings at BuddyPress >> Classifieds
If you want precise control for each of your blogs’ roles, activate (sitewide) the plugin BuddyPress Classifieds Roles & Capabilities, which is included with the main plugin. I experienced a few bumps in the road when it came to activating the Roles and Capabilities. Though the BuddyPress Classifieds plugin is still a little rough around the edges, I thought it was important to get the word out that the beta is here so that interested parties can help it gain momentum. I’m sure everything will be smoothed out as more users begin testing and modifying the plugin. It’s very exciting to know that Classifieds functionality is available to BuddyPress, with the ability to sort the listings by tags. Many thanks to Gordie Breant for this excellent addition, and I’m certain he’d appreciate your testing and feedback. Support for the plugin is available at its dedicated forum.