BuddyPress Links – New Must-Have Component Allows Rich Media Embedding
What does BuddyPress links do?
This component adds a tab to the main menu for link sharing and allows members to:
- create and manage links from their profile.
- assign links to a category
- control the visibility of their links (public, friends only, and hidden)
- enable a comment wire for a link
- upload an image “avatar” to show with a link
- embed a PicApp.com image and use as the avatar
- embed a Fotoglif.com image and use as the avatar
- vote on other member’s links
- comment on other member’s links (if wire is enabled)
Administrators have full permission to edit, delete and manage link categories, as well as customize the links widgets. This pretty amazing new component also includes a “Digg style” popularity algorithm, rich profile and directory sorting and filtering, most recent links news feed, and hundreds of action and filter hooks.
BuddyPress Links version 0.2 (RC1) is still unstable, as few people have tested it. It’s not currently recommended for production environments, but if it does something you need and you know a little bit of PHP, you should be able to configure it nicely for your site. By extending the class API you will be able to scale this component’s rich media embedding capabilities. It currently supports YouTube, Flickr (Photo & Video), and metacafe, but the developer plans to write up some basic documentation for how to write custom services. Start testing and bug reporting on this plugin to help it reach its full potential!
Check out a demo here: http://primehockey.com/
(Please do not create test accounts)
Support and further discussion for BuddyPress Links can be found on the BP forums.
Download the component here.Tags: