WordPress Question: How Can You Set Up Customized User Roles?
The most interesting questions we receive will be published here on the blog, and the author will receive a three month membership at WPMU DEV, free of charge. Please submit your own WordPress question for your chance to win.
Today’s WordPress question was submitted by a WPMU reader named Andrew.
Is it possible to create a customized user profile on a WordPress site, where the site owner can specify what each user does and does not have access to? For example:
- An administrator profile that does not allow access to page and post editing, or…
- A content creator profile that does not allow access to the admin functions in WordPress dashboard
Instead of relying on the standard WordPress User Roles (contributor, author, editor etc.), is it possible to create my own?
Over to you, WordPress ninjas! Does anyone have a suggestion for Andrew? Have you ever tried something similar?
If you can offer any wisdom on this subject, please leave a comment below this article and let us know. You can also check out some of our previous WordPress questions here:
- Which Cache Plugin Should You Use?
- Why Do Plugins Disappear When Auto-Update Fails?
- How To Fix ‘Out of Memory’ Issues With SimplePie?
- How to Create a Simple Staging Environment for WordPress Development?
And remember to send us your own WordPress question! There’s three months of WPMU DEV lovin’ to be won, plus you can connect with WordPress experts to help solve your problems.
Photo: Carbon NYC.