Facebook for WordPress: New Official Plugin Makes WordPress Sites Social
Facebook has announced its first official plugin for WordPress. Since WordPress powers 16.6 percent of the web with more than 600 million unique visitors each month, it was only a matter of time before Facebook would develop an official plugin for the platform. The Facebook plugin for WordPress is a collaborative project between Facebook, Automattic, and several skilled developers on both sides.
The new official Facebook plugin was designed to “make your WordPress site social in a couple of clicks”. It offers powerful cross-publishing from WordPress to multiple Facebook Timelines for mass distribution of your content.
The Official Facebook Plugin Features include:
- Post to an Author’s Facebook Timeline whenever they publish a new WordPress Post or Page.
- Mention friends and Facebook Pages. This posts to their Timelines as well as lists them on the WordPress Post or Page.
- Post all new WordPress Post or Pages to a specified Facebook Page.
- Like, send, and subscribe buttons can be enabled in a click and are fully customizable.
- Facebook Comments, including full SEO support.
- Open Graph Protocol integration.
- Recommendations bar, which allows users to click to start getting recommendations, Like content, and add what they’re reading to Timeline as they go.
The plugin also includes three widgets for easy display: Activity Feed Box, Recommendations Box and Like, send, and subscribe buttons.
You will be required to set up a Facebook app after activating the plugin, but it shouldn’t be a problem because Facebook provides step-by-step instructions.
Developer documentation for the official plugin can be found at the Facebook for WordPress page if you’d like to delve a bit deeper into how it works.
Have you tried the new Facebook plugin? Will you be using it on your site?