Featured WordPress Plugin: WordPress SEO by Yoast
2010 saw a fantastic addition to the word of WordPress SEO. Joost de Valk – i.e. Yoast – launched his WordPress SEO by Yoast plugin into the world. When I started using WordPress one of the first walkthroughs that I came across was Yoast’s SEO walkthrough and it became a touchstone for any WordPress installation. Now you can find pretty much all of the SEO basics that you need using this plugin.
- Change post title and meta description meta box on a per post basis.
- Support for taxonomy (tag, category & custom taxonomy) title and meta description
- Google search result snippet previews
- Focus keyword testing
- Meta Robots configuration
- Improved canonical support
- Configure RSS footer / header
- Permalink clean ups, while still allowing for things like Google Custom Search.
- Breadcrumbs support, with configurable titles.
- XML Sitemaps
- XML News Sitemaps.
- .htaccess and robots.txt editor.
- Basic import functionality for HeadSpace2 and All in One SEO.
Our Mini Review
For a long time WordPress SEO involved installing one plugin and configuring it, then installing another and configuring it, then another one, and another one. It was a pretty long and boring process. WordPress SEO by Yoast lets you install one plugin, configure and off you go. It’s incredibly useful and it was brilliant to see it launched late in 2010. I can see it become the top SEO Plugin of 2011.