Featured WordPress Theme: Thematic
This week we’re going to be all about Thematic. Thematic is a Theme Framework, brought to you by Themeshaper. Thematic can be used as it is, or you can use it to develop your own theme. For the rest of the week we’ll look at all of the ways that you can extend Thematic using child themes but for now we’ll look at the Theme itself.
- Use as a blank theme or for development
- 13 widget ready areas, more possible in your child theme
- Loads of free and premium child themes available
- Includes sample WordPress child theme
- Wiki-editable guide to customizations
- Compatible with All-in-one-SEO and Platinum plugins
- 2 or 3 column layout options
- Modular CSS
- Basic Typography
- Dynamic post and body classes
- Editable footer text
- Options for multi-author blogs
Our Mini Review
If you want to find a way to get into developing your own themes then Thematic is a great place to start. It looks good when you’ve just installed it, with clean white background and simple layout, but it’s what’s under the bonnet that really matters. With 13 widget areas and the possibility to develop more in a child theme, CSS that’s easy to edit, and inline, helpful comments along with good support forums, Thematic is the perfect way to get yourself on the way to becoming a wizard theme developer. To get your started, check out this guide on WP Tavern to building a Thematic child theme.