New bbPress Plugin Now Available for Download and Fully Compatible with WordPress Multisite and BuddyPress
Yes, it’s finally here. Granted it’s still in Beta 1, but you can now find the bbPress plugin in the WordPress repository. Download it for yourself and give it a test run.
Here’s what the bbPress team has been shooting for in this beta:
We’re keeping things as small and light as possible while still allowing for great add-on features through WordPress’s extensive plugin system. What does all that mean? bbPress is lean, mean, and ready to take on any job you throw at it.
Here’s what comes built-in with 2.0:
- Seamless integration with your WordPress site and theme
- Integrated admin interface for forums, topics, and replies
- Split and merge topics within a single forum
- Shortcodes to help you customize where your forums appear
- Currently comes with a child theme of TwentyTen to get you started
- Keep track of changes with topic and reply revisions
- Dashboard widget shows you a shapshot of your forums at a glance
- Automatically creates a new ‘Moderator’ role for your forums
- Mark topics as favorites and view them within your new user profile
- Receive emails when new replies are posted to topics you subscribe to
- Anonymous posting lets you open your community up to the world
- Includes widgets to show latest forum activity
- Comes with an importer to move your existing integrated forums over
Reasons to love the new bbPress plugin…
The new bbPress plugin is a developer’s dream come true. It’s made to play nice with the whole WordPress family, including Multisite, BuddyPress and caching plugins. Yes, this means that you can have unlimited bbPresses when using it with multisite. Wait, it gets even better…
- Fully extendable, with actions and hooks where you need them
- Adds no additional database tables through the wonders of post types and taxonomies
- Uses adjustable meta capabilities for letting you scope out users and roles
- Relies on template parts to display themes in pieces that are meant to be overridden
- Fully documented PHP, so your IDE will thank you
- Use standard post queries to display custom forum and topic data
What’s next for the bbPress plugin?
A more solid bbPress 2.0 is slated for release by the end of June and is planned to coincide with the WordPress 3.2 launch.
A full integration/replacement is coming soon for BuddyPress users. In BuddyPress 1.3 you’ll be able to make use of the bbPress plugin to provide forums and you will also have the option of the standalone version that comes packaged with BuddyPress. The standalone version cannot yet be dropped from the BuddyPress download package, as it would break all existing installations. The team is working on a replacement option for the future.Tags: