Stop WordPress Stealing Your Brand’s Limelight
Stop WordPress Stealing Your Brand’s Limelight
WordPress is brilliant and free but it seems to hog the limelight at the most inopportune of times, ruining your best branding efforts and confusing your users.
You can wrestle back control with a swag of plugins and hacks. Alternatively, you can install Ultimate Branding from WPMU DEV which will not only consolidates all the best white-labelling techniques in a single plugin but provides even more opportunities to keep your brand in the limelight.
Why White-label Your WordPress Site?
Removing all traces of WordPress from your site or multisite network may, at first glance, seem a little ungrateful given that the application is free.
However, there are some excellent reasons for white-labelling:
- Having WordPress branding trying to sit alongside your own branding causes unnecessary confusion. The login page is an excellent example where WordPress jumps in and pushes your branding to one-side without really any forethought of how this might impact on the user experience.
- White-labelling is an aid in security through obfuscation when used in combination with other techniques.
Of course, branding and promotion goes further than just removing WordPress’ explicit presence.
Multisite network owners, in particular, may want to add a “get a site like this” message to the bottom of every free site they create without having to edit every theme.
Everyone Knows How To…
Virtually every WordPress tutorial site publishes branding articles on a regular basis covering topics such as how to change the from details on the WordPress-generated emails to customizing the login screen.
Typically, the post will recommend one or more plugins and maybe some tweaking of a stylesheet or the addition of some code to the functions.php.
They all work, some spectacularly well, but if you were to implement them all then you’d end up with a plethora of plugins and theme hacks.
And then there’s multisite and potentially the need to update every theme and every individual site.
Ultimate Branding, from WPMU DEV, brings all these disparate solutions together into one, easy-to-use, multisite compatible plugin where the branding can be controlled from a single settings panel.
Twelve Tabs To Branding Heaven
Ultimate Branding offers twelve areas of customization:
- Custom Images : replace the favicon and the login page image
- Custom Admin Bar : allows a custom menu to be added to the Admin Bar as well as control over which items should appear in the WordPress menu (incidentally, changing the favicon also changes the image used in the WordPress menu)
- Email From Headers : a favorite topic, change the From email address and sender name in WordPress generated emails such as the welcome email for new users and password reset notifications.
- Custom Widgets : remove widgets (no need for clients to see the latest news from the WP Planet) from the Dashboard and automatically rebrand the Meta widget (remove WordPress.org)
- Custom Help Content : this allows extensive customization of the often overlooked and under-utilized admin Help tab. Add any number of pages and a sidebar to provide users with all the help they need.
- Custom Footer Content : Specify content (HTML allowed, including media) to be added to the bottom of every page of both the site and the admin area.
- Custom Header Content : Add content to the top of every page of a site.
- Remove Permalinks Menu : Activate to remove the Permalinks menu option from Settings
- Site Generator : Customize the content of the automatically inserted generator meta tag.
- Text Change : A powerful function that can do a global search and replace on all text across a site or even a network. Use with care!
- Custom CSS : Add custom CSS to the header of every admin page or to the site’s login page.
- Ultimate Color Scheme : The most recent addition, this not allows control over the available color schemes (including forcing the use of a particular scheme) but also provides a fully customizable new Ultimate color scheme.
Individually, these functions provide comprehensive branding capabilities but you can also combine them to make a WordPress site completely your own.
1.6 million WordPress Superheroes read and trust our blog. Join them and get daily posts delivered to your inbox - free!
Branding An Entire WordPress Multisite Network
Where Ultimate Branding really comes into its own, though, is in a multisite setting.
The plugin can be network activated or simply left to be activate on each individual site.
Choose the former and you’ve got complete control as those tabs are operating on a network basis: global network headers and footers, remove WordPress widgets from every Dashboard, change the text for every site, set the Admin color scheme for every user, add extensive Help to every user’s Dashboard.
This is the perfect tool if you are running your own commercial network and want to ensure a consistency across every site.
But you don’t have to network activate the plugin. You can let your individual site owners activate the plugin on their own site and choose their own combination of white-labelling options. This would allow, for example, each site to have their own customized login form.
There are many scenarios where white-labelling, perhaps better described as consistent branding, makes a lot of sense. Ultimate Branding lets site owners, and particularly WordPress network owners, achieve this quickly and easily by consolidating all the popular solutions into a single, easy-to-use, settings-driven plugin.
Branding heaven is just twelve tabs away.
Do you use any white-labelling or branding techniques on your WordPress site or multisite?