Switch between WordPress Users – Great for Testing
When setting up a site or trying out new plugins or functionality, a WordPress administrator is constantly switching between being the Admin and being lower-level users. Of course you want to make sure everything works as it’s supposed to for each level of user.
I usually manage this by logging into one browser as the Admin and another browser as a lower-level user. But eventually all browsers will need to be tested, and all user types will need to be tested.
It would be nice to be able to switch to a different level user in an easier way.
Enter the User Switching plugin.
And while this is perfect for testing, it is not limited to that. As an administrator, you can switch to any user on your site. It also works with Multisite and BuddyPress.
A few important aspects to take note of:
- Only Administrators can switch between accounts
- Passwords of users are not revealed
- A cookie gives you the ability to log out of your account but switch back again
- A “switch back” link is conveniently located at the top of all Admin pages
- When you switch back, a message appears at the top letting you know you’ve done so to avoid confusion
You can find the User Switching plugin here.
Photo: user network from BigStock