2. My Websites Overview
This document is an overview of the tools available for managing multiple WordPress websites from one place with Hub 2.0.
The Hub makes it easy to manage, view, and configure:
- Plugin, theme, and core updates
- Security settings
- Uptime and analytics monitoring
Already a member? Visit your Hub dashboard to get started.
If you haven’t set up your WPMU DEV account yet, visit the Hub page, where you can explore the features, see pricing packages, and start a free trial.
2.1 Getting StartedLink to chapter 1
If you have not connected a site to the Hub visit the Adding a site to Hub 2.0 documentation to learn how to connect your site. Use the plus icon in the upper right-hand corner of the My Websites screen to add additional sites to the Hub.
In this document, we will explore the layout and features available for connected websites.
2.2 My WebsitesLink to chapter 2
The My Websites screen is your Hub Overview. The default Grid view lists all of your websites with a thumbnail of the home page for quickly visualizing all of your sites and sites that have actions waiting to be implemented.
Click the search icon to open the “Find a website” field.
Type in the domain name for the site you are searching for to quickly locate, view, and manage a specific website’s health.
Hub 2.0 sites can be sorted and grouped in multiple ways using filters and labels. Your options include:
- Tabbed filters – Broad categories in which sites may appear in multiple tabs
- Sort By – Alphabetical sorting filter
- <strongLabel – Used to create custom, color-coded groups of sites
The available tabbed filters include:
- All – The “All” option lists all the websites connected to the Hub. The number listed next to the All option is the total number of sites connected to your Hub account.
- Hosted – This option lists all the sites connected to your Hub account that are also hosted with WPMU DEV.
- Favorites – These are sites that have been marked or starred as favorites. Visit the section on adding favorites to your list for more information on favoriting a website.
- Updates – This option lists any of your sites that have a plugin or theme updates that need to be run. You can sort by Websites that need to be updated, Themes that need to be updated, or plugins that need an update.
The Sort by filter allows you to display sites in ascending or descending alphabetical order or by the date when the site was connected to the Hub. You can also choose whether you want your favorite sites to appear at the top of your sites list by toggling the Pin favorites to top feature.
- Recently added – This puts the sites in order of when it was added to the Hub with the most recently added sites at the top.
- A-Z – List your sites domain names in alphabetical order.
- Z-A – Puts your sites in reverse alphabetical order.
2.3 Filters & LabelsLink to chapter 3
The filters and labels feature enables you to selectively order groups of sites based on several standard categories as well as labels. Note that the Sort by feature will be blocked while the Filters & Labels feature is in use, to avoid any crossover grouping issues.
To access this feature, click on Filters & Labels above your listed sites.
Click on a category to view the sites relevant to that category, or click on a label to view sites that you have associated with that specific label. Filters and labels can be cleared by clicking on Clear selected filters.
If both a category and a label have been selected, you can click the CLEAR ALL button to remove the applied filters and labels.
It is also possible to remove individual categories and labels by hovering over the specific filter and clicking on the x icon.
2.3.1 FiltersLink to chapter 3
The filters feature allows you to hone in on a specific group of sites that need attention.
The available categories include:
When you select a category, any sites that are experiencing issues related to that category will be listed. The relevant sites will appear with an icon associated with the issue and a status giving more information about the problem. Clicking on the icons will take you to the Hosting Overview dashboard page in the Hub.
If this category is selected, the sites that require updates will appear. The update icon will be visible in the site row with a counter indicating how many updates are available for that site.
Select this category to view sites with security issues that need to be tweaked. The security icon will be accompanied by the number of security issues to be resolved. For more information on resolving security issues picked up by our Defender plugin, visit the Security Tweaks document.
Choose the Speed category to group sites that have performance opportunities to be actioned. The performance icon will display your site’s current performance score in our Hummingbird plugin.
Click on the SEO category to view sites with optimization issues that need attention. This is based on your SEO performance in the WPMU DEV Smartcrawl plugin.
If the Backups category is selected, sites that have backup problems will be listed. The listed sites will show the backups icon with an informative status message.
When the Uptime category is chosen, any sites experiencing downtime issues will be listed. The insights icon will appear with a status describing the issue.
2.3.2 LabelsLink to chapter 3
Hub 2.0 includes 6 preset color-coded labels for grouping and sorting websites. To select a label for a site in the List view, hover over the space next to the three-dot icon for the site, and click on the label icon that will appear. You can customize these preset labels and add your own as well. See Customize Labels below for more on that.
A drop-down menu will appear with the different color-coded labels available and all you have to do is click on the desired label to assign it to that site.
Only one label can be assigned to a site at any given moment but labels can easily be changed by simply selecting a different label, or removed by selecting None.
The default available labels are:
Labels can also be assigned to sites in the Grid view, through a similar process. The only difference being that the label icon is located in the bottom-right corner of the site block.
Group by Label
To group sites associated with the same label, click on Filters & Labels and select the label you want to action.
Multiple labels can be selected which will display all sites associated with any of the chosen labels. In the example below, both the orange and blue labels have been selected, meaning that sites labeled with either the orange or blue tag are listed.
In order to give you more agency over the organization of your sites, the Hub allows you to customize your labels. Click on Filters & Labels and select the gear icon to access the configuration panel.
The configuration panel allows you to add, remove, rename, change colors and change the order in which the labels are listed.
New labels can be added by clicking the plus icon next to Add label.
Remove labels by clicking on the minus icon.
All labels can be renamed by clicking on the existing name and replacing the text with the new name.
To choose a unique color for your labels, click on the circular color icon.
You can then move the color picker to choose the desired color or you can type in the hex color code for a specific color. Click Save to select the new color or Cancel to exit without making any changes to the original color.
Labels can be moved around to any order you would like. This can be done by clicking on the icon with three stacked horizontal lines and by dragging the label to its new position.
Remember to click Save to keep all of the changes you have made to your labels. Click Cancel to exit the configuration panel without changing any labels.
2.4 Grid and List ViewLink to chapter 4
The Hub has both a Grid view and List view. As noted in the My Websites chapter, the first time you visit the Hub it is set to the Grid view. After the first visit, your Hub will remember the last selected view used and default to that on your next visit.
The Grid view pulls a thumbnail screenshot of your site’s home page as a visual representation of the site along with the domain name.
A red notification icon (•) in the upper righthand corner of a site’s thumbnail indicates there are actions pending for that site.
Hover over one of the thumbnails to reveal color-coded action icons for a view of site health and performance.
These icons represent:
- Updates – The first icon is the updates icon
- Grey – Everything is up-to-date.
- Red notification badge over the icon – There are plugin or theme updates available.
- Hover – Hovering over the icon reveals how many updates are available.
- Click the icon to visit the updates screen
- Hosting – This provides information about your site’s hosting
- Grey – The site is hosted elsewhere
- Green – The site is Hosted with WPMU DEV
- Hover – Hovering over the hosting icon reveals the selected hosting plan, domain name, and server location
- Click the icon to visit the hosting tab.
- Security – This is information about your Defender settings. More about the security tab is located in the Hub 2.0 Security usage docs
- Grey – Defender security is not setup
- Green – Defender is active and there are no actions that need to be taken.
- Red – The site has been scanned and there are security actions that have not yet been addressed
- Hover – Number of security issues detected by Defender
- Click the icon to jump to the security tab for the site for activating or managing Defender settings
- Performance – Performance scans, reporting, and monitoring is activated with Hummingbird
- Grey – Hummingbird is not active and configured on your site
- Green – Hummingbird is set up and all actions have been taken
- Red – Performance issues have been detected by Hummingbird and need to be actioned
- Hover – display the websites performance score
- Click the icon to visit the Performance section of your site in the Hub. For more information visit the Hub 2.0 performance section.
- SEO – Activate Smartcrawl on your site to scan, manage, and track SEO for your site
- Grey – Smartcrawl SEO is not set up on the site
- Green – Smartcrawl is active and all actions have been taken
- Red – Smartcrawl has detected opportunities for improving your sites SEO
- Hover – This will display the SEO score from your scan
- Click on the icon to visit the SEO tab for your site. For more information about the SEO tab visit the Hub 2.0 SEO usage doc.
- Backups/Snapshot – If your site is hosted with WPMU DEV the Server icon is used. If your site is hosted with a third-party the Snapshot backups icon will display.
- Grey – there are no backups scheduled or connected
- Green – Backups are connected and scheduled
- Red – If the backup icon is red the backups failed
- Hover – Reveals the last backup and your backup schedule
- Click on the icon to visit the backups tab for your site. For more information visit the Hub 2.0 Backups usage doc.
- Insights – This icon covers Uptime and site analytics (coming soon).
- Grey – Uptime is not connected
- Green – Your site is connected and up
- Red – Website is down
- Hover – Verifies the site status
- Click on the icon to visit the Insights tab for your site. For more information visit the Hub 2.0 Insights usage doc.
- WP Admin – Clicking the WordPress icon will take you to the dashboard for your site. If Single Sign-on (SSO) is enabled for the site, you are able to securely log on without having to re-enter your username or password. For more information about setting up or deactivating SSO, visit the Secure One-click Logins documentation.
Click the List view icon to switch to a List view of your websites. The List view displays your sites without the thumbnail and displays the color-coded icons for available actions without having to hover over your site.
This view gives you a quicker overall view of your connected websites.
Whichever view was used on your last visit will be used next time you log on to the WPMU DEV Hub.
2.5 Favoriting a WebsiteLink to chapter 5
Favorites or Starred websites are Listed under the favorites tab. This allows you to group sites by priority, importance, or high activity.
When hovering over a site in both the Grid and List view an empty star icon will appear. In Grid view, it is in the bottom left corner. In the List view, it is next to the domain name.
Clicking the star icon adds the site to your favorites list. If a site is added to your favorites list it will be marked with a gold star.
To remove your site from the favorites List click the gold star and the site will be removed.