2. My Websites Overview
This document is an overview of the tools available for managing multiple WordPress websites from one place with Hub 2.0.
The Hub makes it easy to manage, view, and configure:
- Plugin, theme, and core updates
- Security settings
- Uptime and analytics monitoring
Already a member? Visit your Hub dashboard to get started.
If you haven’t set up your WPMU DEV account yet, visit the Hub page, where you can explore the features, see pricing packages, and start a free trial.
2.1 Getting StartedLink to chapter 1
If you have not connected a site to the Hub visit the Adding a site to Hub 2.0 documentation to learn how to connect your site. Use the plus icon in the upper right-hand corner of the My Websites screen to add additional sites to the Hub.
In this document, we will explore the layout and features available for connected websites.
2.2 My WebsitesLink to chapter 2
The My Websites screen is your Hub Overview. The default Grid view lists all of your websites with a thumbnail of the home page for quickly visualizing all of your sites and sites that have actions waiting to be implemented.
Click the search icon to open the “Find a website” field.
Type in the domain name for the site you are searching for to quickly locate, view, and manage a specific website’s health.
Hub 2.0 sites can be sorted and grouped in multiple ways using filters and labels. Your options include:
- Tabbed filters – Broad categories in which sites may appear in multiple tabs
- Sort By – Alphabetical sorting filter
- <strongLabel – Used to create custom, color-coded groups of sites
The available tabbed filters include:
- All – The “All” option lists all the websites connected to the Hub. The number listed next to the All option is the total number of sites connected to your Hub account.
- Hosted – This option lists all the sites connected to your Hub account that are also hosted with WPMU DEV.
- Favorites – These are sites that have been marked or starred as favorites. Visit the section on adding favorites to your list for more information on favoriting a website.
- Updates – This option lists any of your sites that have a plugin or theme updates that need to be run. You can sort by Websites that need to be updated, Themes that need to be updated, or plugins that need an update.
The Sort by filter allows you to display sites ascending or descending alphabetical order or by the date when the site was connected to the Hub.
- Recently added – This puts the sites in order of when it was added to the Hub with the most recently added sites at the top.
- A-Z – List your sites domain names in alphabetical order.
- Z-A – Puts your sites in reverse alphabetical order.
Additional filters allow you to select a critical filter along with labels to narrow in on a group of websites needing a specific action.
Critical Actions include:
- Updates – Sites that need an update
- Security – Sites flagged with security issues that need to be actioned
- Performance – Sites connected to the Hub that have performance opportunities available
- SEO – Sites that have been flagged with recommendations for improving SEO
- Backups – Sites that do not have Snapshot or WPMU DEV backup available
2.3 Grid and List ViewLink to chapter 3
The Hub has both a Grid view and List view. As noted in the My Websites chapter, the first time you visit the Hub it is set to the Grid view. After the first visit, your Hub will remember the last selected view used and default to that on your next visit.
The Grid view pulls a thumbnail screenshot of your site’s home page as a visual representation of the site along with the domain name.
A red notification icon (•) in the upper righthand corner of a site’s thumbnail indicates there are actions pending for that site.
Hover over one of the thumbnails to reveal color-coded action icons for a view of site health and performance.
These icons represent:
- Updates – The first icon is the updates icon
- Grey – Everything is up-to-date.
- Red notification badge over the icon – There are plugin or theme updates available.
- Hover – Hovering over the icon reveals how many updates are available.
- Click the icon to visit the updates screen
- Hosting – This provides information about your site’s hosting
- Grey – The site is hosted elsewhere
- Green – The site is Hosted with WPMU DEV
- Hover – Hovering over the hosting icon reveals the selected hosting plan, domain name, and server location
- Click the icon to visit the hosting tab.
- Security – This is information about your Defender settings. More about the security tab is located in the Hub 2.0 Security usage docs
- Grey – Defender security is not setup
- Green – Defender is active and there are no actions that need to be taken.
- Red – The site has been scanned and there are security actions that have not yet been addressed
- Hover – Number of security issues detected by Defender
- Click the icon to jump to the security tab for the site for activating or managing Defender settings
- Performance – Performance scans, reporting, and monitoring is activated with Hummingbird
- Grey – Hummingbird is not active and configured on your site
- Green – Hummingbird is set up and all actions have been taken
- Red – Performance issues have been detected by Hummingbird and need to be actioned
- Hover – display the websites performance score
- Click the icon to visit the Performance section of your site in the Hub. For more information visit the Hub 2.0 performance section.
- SEO – Activate Smartcrawl on your site to scan, manage, and track SEO for your site
- Grey – Smartcrawl SEO is not set up on the site
- Green – Smartcrawl is active and all actions have been taken
- Red – Smartcrawl has detected opportunities for improving your sites SEO
- Hover – This will display the SEO score from your scan
- Click on the icon to visit the SEO tab for your site. For more information about the SEO tab visit the Hub 2.0 SEO usage doc.
- Backups/Snapshot – If your site is hosted with WPMU DEV the Server icon is used. If your site is hosted with a third-party the Snapshot backups icon will display.
- Grey – there are no backups scheduled or connected
- Green – Backups are connected and scheduled
- Red – If the backup icon is red the backups failed
- Hover – Reveals the last backup and your backup schedule
- Click on the icon to visit the backups tab for your site. For more information visit the Hub 2.0 Backups usage doc.
- Insights – This icon covers Uptime and site analytics (coming soon).
- Grey – Uptime is not connected
- Green – Your site is connected and up
- Red – Website is down
- Hover – Verifies the site status
- Click on the icon to visit the Insights tab for your site. For more information visit the Hub 2.0 Insights usage doc.
- WP Admin – Clicking the WordPress icon will take you to the dashboard for your site. If Single Sign-on (SSO) is enabled for the site, you are able to securely log on without having to re-enter your username or password. For more information about setting up or deactivating SSO, visit the Secure One-click Logins documentation.
Click the List view icon to switch to a List view of your websites. The List view displays your sites without the thumbnail and displays the color-coded icons for available actions without having to hover over your site.
This view gives you a quicker overall view of your connected websites.
Whichever view was used on your last visit will be used next time you log on to the WPMU DEV Hub.
2.4 Favoriting a WebsiteLink to chapter 4
Favorites or Starred websites are Listed under the favorites tab. This allows you to group sites by priority, importance, or high activity.
When hovering over a site in both the Grid and List view an empty star icon will appear. In Grid view, it is in the bottom left corner. In the List view, it is next to the domain name.
Clicking the star icon adds the site to your favorites list. If a site is added to your favorites list it will be marked with a gold star.
To remove your site from the favorites List click the gold star and the site will be removed.
2.5 Labeling WebsitesLink to chapter 5
Hub 2.0 includes 6 color-coded labels for grouping and sorting websites.
Labeling is available in both the Grid and List view. In the grid view, hover over the site and the empty label icon will appear in the bottom right. In the List view, hover over a site and the empty label icon will appear to the far right. Click the empty label icon to open the List of available color labels.
Available color labels include: