– I am looking to provide information to users

Hello – I am looking to provide information to users on an individual account basis. For example, if Client A signs up, I would like to upload content that only Client A can see and no one else. Is this something that Protected Content can do?

For example, could I create a page called “Pizza Stop” and assign that only the user “Pizza Stop” can see, but also have him on a subscription plan? If not, what plugin should I use? Thanks!

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Peter,

Hope you’re doing well today!

That is exactly what Protected Content can do for you :slight_smile:

When you install Protected Content you will have the option to “protect content” and you can choose which pages you want to protect. Or you can protect categories, post types, posts, comments, menus, BuddyPress stuff, bbpress stuff, and the list goes on!

How you would do it is basically create a “simple membership”(there are different membership types) then protect the page you want to protect and apply that content to the membership. Then whoever subscribes to that membership will have access to the content.

There is also a “protect content” toggle on each post/page so you can protect the post/page right from there if you like.

Let us know if you have any further questions here. More than happy to assist.

All the best,

Tyler

• Peter
    • Flash Drive

Hi Tyler,

Thank you for your help. I’m not sure you understood my question.

I would like to create a page for Client A. Only Client A should be able to see it. Then create a different page with different content for Client B. Client A should not be able to see Client B’s page and vice versa. Does that make sense?

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Peter,

Ah I see, I believe I did misunderstand originally then. Sorry about that.

If you want content to be available for only 1 user. Then you would need a specific membership for that user.

ie. Create 2 memberships, one each for client A and Client B.

Then protect their page accordingly.

Are you wanting it to be the same page but then have different content for each user? That is also possible but might get messy if you have lots of clients.

What you can do is use the shortcodes and protect blocks of content for each user.

ie:

[ms-protect-content id="113"] Client A content here [/ms-protect-content]

[ms-protect-content id="111"] Client B content here [/ms-protect-content]

Client A and Client B will only see what is inside their membership shortcodes :slight_smile:

Is this more around what you’re after?

Talk to you soon!

Cheers,

Tyler

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hey there, Peter!

Without creating a membership for each individual membership, I’m not sure Protected Content is quite equipped to do what you’re wanting here.

However! I did find a free plugin on the repository that is, conveniently, called User Specific Content: https://wordpress.org/plugins/user-specific-content/

What I’m not sure about is if it will protect non-standard content, like custom post types, so it may be worth a dry run to see if it will provide the protection you’re looking for.

We can also do this programmatically, but it’s going to be fairly complex.

Thanks for your question, Peter!

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi Peter!

As long as you don’t see a conflict between the two (which should be fairly obvious fairly soon, with both plugins active simultaneously) it should be fine. I’m doing a quick test on my site, as well, and I’m not seeing any issues right off the bat. With a pretty bare-bones WordPress install, it looks like everything is firing when it should.

I think the user specific content plugin is using a script to check on the user ID before showing the content, so. as plugins go, it’s not overly complex. That’s good – the more simple it is, there are less moving parts that might conflict with other moving parts. As long as the scripts don’t conflict with your content protection scripts, I think this should be okay. Keep testing on your own site, however, just to make sure all the zigs zig and all the zags zag.

Thanks for your question!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.