- i cant embed any shortcodes to show courses (ie. list

- i cant embed any shortcodes to show courses (ie. list of courses / category / tag) though i followed the documentation. Is it because of plugin clashes. When i insert the shortcodes, the whole site went down.
- I cant get fullwidth for "courses" page and theres no way to edit it. I removed the widget items but it remains. Any way here?
- any sample/demo live sites using coursepress themes that i can see and get inspiration from?
- facebook login - i saw a warning it'll no longer be usable April 2015 - is this still true?
- what is the font for the site cos i want to make a logo using the same font
- any way to use a current plugin/project to create a marketplace like teachersPayTeachers to complement the course site?
- the course featured image "disappears" in mobile view (iphone) - is this normal?
- Will there be a clash if im using the course, pro site and market plugin as each has different payment options?
- if yes, will the user account details show all their transactions or by default only the course purchase items?
- any other way to list courses instead of the default one (ie. list/ small thumbs/ grid...etc)?

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @ikram,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your questions.

- i cant embed any shortcodes to show courses (ie. list of courses / category / tag) though i followed the documentation. Is it because of plugin clashes. When i insert the shortcodes, the whole site went down.

Are you facing this issue with all shortcodes or anything specific?

If specific shortcodes then share me the shortcodes that you are using.

Can you please try enabling WP_DEBUG mode and? To do this, just go to wp-config.php include this:

define('WP_DEBUG',true);

You might already have a line for WP_DEBUG, so just make sure it's set to true.

For information on this, checkout this wpmu.org article.

Let me know what errors if any you are getting when site goes down.

- I cant get fullwidth for "courses" page and theres no way to edit it. I removed the widget items but it remains. Any way here?

To make "courses" page full width you have to remove get_sidebar function from the archive-course.php page. Create archive-course.php file in your theme by copying code from archive.php file in to it from your theme.

Then add the following CSS code in the style.css file of your child theme or add it in your site using the following plugin to make content full width.

http://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-custom-css

body.post-type-archive-course #primary {
       width: 100%;
    }
    body.post-type-archive-course section.article-content-right {
       width: 70%;
    }

If you don't want to remove sidebar from the theme PHP file then you can just hide it by using the following CSS code along with the above CSS code.

body.post-type-archive-course #secondary {
       display: none;
    }

- any sample/demo live sites using coursepress themes that i can see and get inspiration from?

Currently we don't have a demo site of coursepress theme but you can create one easily by installing WordPress on your test/dev site or on localhost and using the coursepress theme from the coursepress plugin from the following path.

coursepress/themes/coursepress

- facebook login - i saw a warning it'll no longer be usable April 2015 - is this still true?

I think it's all about The New Facebook Login and Graph API versions. The older versions will be retired with new versions as following.

Version 1.0, which is what we call the API as it existed the day before v2.0 was launched. We'll support v1.0 for one year and it will expire on April 30th, 2015.

Version 2.0, which is what this upgrade guide covers. Version 2.0 is supported for at least two years. At the earliest, it will expire on April 30th, 2016.

You will find more information about it on the following facebook official pages.

https://developers.facebook.com/blog/post/2014/04/30/the-new-facebook-login/
    https://developers.facebook.com/docs/apps/upgrading

- what is the font for the site cos i want to make a logo using the same font

It depends on what the font your theme is using and whether any of your plugin overriding it or not.

I can tell you the font name for that just share me the page link and let me know of which element on that page you want to know the font name.

- any way to use a current plugin/project to create a marketplace like teachersPayTeachers to complement the course site?

You can try using our following MarketPress plugin.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/e-commerce/

- the course featured image "disappears" in mobile view (iphone) - is this normal?

Are you talking about the image set as "Listing Image"?

- Will there be a clash if im using the course, pro site and market plugin as each has different payment options?

It seems to be a little bit clashing with pro site plugin as reported on the following thread which will be fixed shortly but it works great with MarketPress plugin.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/coursepress-pro-conflict-with-blog-template-and-prosites

- if yes, will the user account details show all their transactions or by default only the course purchase items?

Could you please describe your question a bit more in detail?

- any other way to list courses instead of the default one (ie. list/ small thumbs/ grid...etc)?

You can try using the following shortcode.

[course_list]

Best Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• ikram

Hi @Vinod, thanks for replying each and every of my questions.

solved:
    - i've put the debug to "true". will check for errors
    - thanks for the fullwidth css
    - understood on the facebook plugin
    - roger on marketpress plugin

follow up:
    1. font i need is the one used in the default text logo in the accompanying coursepresspro theme
    2. yes its the listing image in mobile
    3. Elaboration on payments: if i have someone who paid for a "course" and a marketpress "item" - will both items show in their account?

Ik

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @ikram,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your questions! :slight_smile:

1: The font is Lato, part of the Sans serif, font-family.

2: This is correct, it's by design so that the design stays clean and simple, rather than looking cluttered. :slight_smile:

3: It will indeed, in their account they're see all purchases including courses purchased.

Any issues, we're here to help. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• ikram

Hi @Jack thanks for the replies and agreed on the rationale - its great that you all did the thinking process for end users like me who needs an out of the box solution,

I've a few more questions regarding coursepresspro after doing some settings:

1. Error message after activating marketpress:

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home1/........./public_html/................com/wp-content/plugins/coursepress/marketpress.php on line 1667

it just wont go off even after i reinstalled again. ive deactivated memberships and prosites and now its just a barebone coursepress and marketpress.

2. Paypal payments:
    - I only have a personal account.
    - Can I use that to receive payments or is it mandatory to get a business or premier paypal to use with the plugin?
    - is there any way i can just use my personal account?

3. Subscription model:
    - Can i implement a simple subscription model like tutsplus (http://tutsplus.com/pricing) WITHOUT implementing memberships plugin - just using the coursepresspro?
    - Also at the same time retain the ability to enroll for individual courses

4. Protected content even in paid courses
    - Can i enable some advance "protection" - example - non downloadable videos and ebooks WITHIN the course itself.
    - It can be enabled manually by admin or by some other ways to access - ie. like passwords or others (Also like http://tutsplus.com/pricing)

5. Manually enrol users in paid courses
    - Can this be done? I assume yes but cant find it

6. Customizing certificates
    - Is there a way to customize different forms for different types of users who completes the course
    - rationale: some may be from registered institutions who send a fixed pax for training.

7. Tracking user progress
    - Is there a way within coursepress to track user activity, completion, attendance, etc - maybe like a mini school management system?

8. Grouped course implementation
    - Is there a way to enable some group interaction within a course that is not seen by others - abit like moodle but nothing so extensive.

9. Additional plugin issues:
    - any plugins i should avoid when running coursepress?
    - any good plugins to help enhance user experience in an educational setting - need some advise here.

Thks alot in advance, its ok if the solutions come in drips cos im implementing it in drips too - really appreciate again thanks!

• ikram

Hi @Jack Kitterhing

Resolved
    Point 1: I resolved point 1 cos its due to a menu item for marketpress.

New problems

10. Installed Event+ I received this message:

Notice: Use of undefined constant COOKIEHASH - assumed 'COOKIEHASH' in /home1/public_html/................com/wp-content/plugins/coursepress/coursepress.php on line 1195

- about 13 of them appear all at once - uninstalling removes all error messages

11. Installed Q&A I received this message:

Notice: Use of undefined constant COOKIEHASH - assumed 'COOKIEHASH' in /home1/public_html/................com/wp-content/plugins/coursepress/coursepress.php on line 1195

- about 13 of them appear all at once - uninstalling removes all error messages

12. Installed Custom Sidebars Pro - error message

Notice: Undefined index: name in /home1/public_html/,,,,,.com/wp-includes/widgets.php on line 963

- it appears on "Courses" page sidebar

13. Installed CustomPress I received this message:

- about 5 of them appear all at once - uninstalling removes all error messages

14. Installed eNewsletter I received this message:

- about 15 of them appear all at once - uninstalling removes all error messages

15. How do i edit the default page for "Oops! That page can’t be found."
    - there is a set of widget items found on the page too

Thanks in advance

• Vaughan

Hi @ikram,

sorry for the delay.

All those errors you receive are actually just notices, they should disappear once you set WP_DEBUG to false in your wp-config.php

You shouldn't leave WP_DEBUG set to true on a live site, we only ask to enable when there's an issue, then once we know the issue, you should disable it again. leaving DEBUG enabled will slow the site down and also the debug notices can actually causes other issues.

Now with regards to your other questions, i'll try to answer as best I can.

2. Paypal payments:
    - I only have a personal account.
    - Can I use that to receive payments or is it mandatory to get a business or premier paypal to use with the plugin?
    - is there any way i can just use my personal account?

You will need to upgrade to at least a premier account, premier accounts are free, so you shouldn't need to worry about extra costs with upgrading in paypal, I use a premier account myself.

3. Subscription model:
    - Can i implement a simple subscription model like tutsplus (http://tutsplus.com/pricing) WITHOUT implementing memberships plugin - just using the coursepresspro?
    - Also at the same time retain the ability to enroll for individual courses

Not at this time, you would need to use the membership plugin & then control access to courses via membership plugin access_level rules for each membership subscription plan.

4. Protected content even in paid courses
    - Can i enable some advance "protection" - example - non downloadable videos and ebooks WITHIN the course itself.
    - It can be enabled manually by admin or by some other ways to access - ie. like passwords or others (Also like http://tutsplus.com/pricing)

You would need to use membership plugin with the media protection & access level shortcodes for this, you can't do it with coursepress out of the box, so as with #3 above, the membership plugin would be required.

5. Manually enrol users in paid courses
    - Can this be done? I assume yes but cant find it

6. Customizing certificates
    - Is there a way to customize different forms for different types of users who completes the course
    - rationale: some may be from registered institutions who send a fixed pax for training.

Currently this isn't possible, however as it's a much asked for feature, the developers will be including certificates & customizing options in a future release. You can use an external service such as http://www.certificatemagic.com/ until this feature is completed.

7. Tracking user progress
    - Is there a way within coursepress to track user activity, completion, attendance, etc - maybe like a mini school management system?

Not exactly, you can track what students have submitted and the grades received in the Assessments page, but it's nothing like a school management system. Dashboard > coursepress pro > assessments

8. Grouped course implementation
    - Is there a way to enable some group interaction within a course that is not seen by others - abit like moodle but nothing so extensive.

I'm not entirely sure on this having no moodle experience, let me just ask @Jack Kitterhing to see if he knows of this for you.

9. Additional plugin issues:
    - any plugins i should avoid when running coursepress?
    - any good plugins to help enhance user experience in an educational setting - need some advise here.

I haven't come across any threads that report anything untoward on this, so I can't really say if there's any plugins you should avoid whilst specifically running coursepress.

Same with enhancing user experience, as I have no experience with educational sites or services online, I'm not the best qualified to answer this, hopefully Jack might know a bit more on this.

Hope this helps

• ikram

Hi @Vaughan, thank God for your replies as I've almost given on using any of wpmu plugins a while ago cos of all the error messages.

I've used your advise and most issues are resolved except for marketpress payments as I keep getting this error message:

There was a problem connecting to PayPal to setup your purchase. Please try again.
    560029 - The required X-PAYPAL-APPLICATION-ID header is missing from the HTTP request

Things i've done:
    1. got all details from paypal and inserted to site
    2. disabled sandbox
    3. Read support posts namely: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/xcommerce-application-process-marketpress-fundraiser

Question is:
    1. Do i have to go through x.com site to complete all the marketplace settings? it seems alot of work for a simple payment option
    2. Do i need to use chained payments if i just receive payments from only one site?

So sorry if its so repeated and silly, do hope for a response as I cant find the exact answer elsewhere
    Ik

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @ikram,

From the error message it seems that you are using the correct Application ID in your payment gateway.

Please make sure you have configured the payment gateway settings correctly.

Would you mind if I logged in to your site and did some testing? This might help get to the bottom of this faster. If this is ok, just grant me temporary admin access to your site by clicking "Grant Access" button in the WPMU DEV Dashboard Settings as described on the following page and reply on this thread after granting it?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

1. Do i have to go through x.com site to complete all the marketplace settings? it seems alot of work for a simple payment option

No you don't have to go though it for all the marketplace settings. You have to go through it for some cases when you need special App ID.

2. Do i need to use chained payments if i just receive payments from only one site?

Do you mean you have network activated the MarketPress plugin but only want to receive payments from only one site in the multisite network?

Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.