- This is my first rollout using Membership which I have

Hi -

This is my first rollout using Membership which I have working very well and happy with it. Our client however would like to not use "username" but something different on the login widget.

Is this a modifiable label or is it pulled from the WP core?

I snooped "login.php" and didn't see anything obvious plus never like to mod files that will be overwritten.

Can I generate a child template of this in the theme folder to address the above as well as move the "forgot password" link?

Thanks.

• Les
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Answered part of this (after having a brain fart posting my question) that a function to change the username label globally should work and it does.

Still curious about the other mods in my original post though with moving things around.

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello there @Les, I hope you're well today!

Our client however would like to not use "username" but something different on the login widget.

I'll need some clarifications on that... Do you mean that you want your users to NOT use their username to login, but instead use their email for example?
    Or do you simply want to change the wording on that widget so that it says something different instead of "username"?
    If this is the case, then you could simply install a plugin that will add some other login form on your site (for example this one: https://wordpress.org/plugins/tt-sidebar-login-widget/ ) and hack that plugin however you like!

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Les
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Ari -

I am well thanks.

Basically this just boils down to a label preference. I put a function in that changes 'username' to what they want, a bit of a kludge but it will work.

On the second part, mucking about with the organization of the widget (just to bring up the password reset link for example into the "remember me" area... same deal as you suggested with a login-box plugin and hack that?

I have to muck around a bit more, is there a specific "forgot password" routine that you'd recommend the widget point to - i.e. a core WordPress one? This client essentially wants a hands-off approach to users.

Thanks Ari, have a great weekend.

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi Les!

In answer to your second question, only drop login.php into your theme's child directory if your theme has a custom login.php template. That's usually a WP core file, and you don't want to avoid editing those unless you absolutely can't help it.

We might be able to work around it with some simple old CSS, however. Where do you want the forgot password link to go, in relation to where it is now?

Let me know!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.