Google Maps Settings Problems

1. Maps does not center on my page even after checking the center radio button and saving.

Save for width and height. Actually none of the options I set has taken effect.

2. How do I change the default "Surat, Gujart, India" to a place I choose in U.S.?

3. Layout on bottom of map is ugly.

How do I make it to something more decent? For example like this.

4. Since I do not understand css that well, how can I style the map myself? For instance but not necessary all these options ok?

I might want a border, change font color, face, layout etc? I guess this applies to my above question.

Here is an example https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-do-you-style-the-google-maps using the code below And placing it in the Settings/Options/Additional CSS box I see no changes to the font color.

.adp-step, .adp-substep {
color: #fff !important;
}

5. I think that shortcode on the bottom of the page is what was placed there as a test from you or someone else. I assume I can safely remove it?

Thanks for any assistance

• Dimitris

Hey there Dave,

hope you're having a beautiful day! :slight_smile:

1. Maps does not center on my page even after checking the center radio button and saving.

I can see what you're referring too in http://dcspecialevents.net/upcoming-events/, which can be surpassed with a CSS rule like

.agm_google_maps {
      float: none !important;
      margin: auto;
    }

2. How do I change the default "Surat, Gujart, India" to a place I choose in U.S.?

I will require some more info from our dev guys on this as it wasn't something that I could easily locate in code for you. I'll keep you posted on this in a future reply of mine. :slight_smile:

3. Layout on bottom of map is ugly.
    How do I make it to something more decent? For example like this.

Getting some things sorted up with CSS can be useful for you, although, replicating the look and feel of Google Maps website, is something that requires a great deal of custom development which surpass the scope of these support forums. You may want to use the Jobs&Pros section for that.

4. Since I do not understand css that well, how can I style the map myself? For instance but not necessary all these options ok?
    I might want a border, change font color, face, layout etc? I guess this applies to my above question.

I think the best approach here would be to generate the map you want with all the appropriate content and settings you want, and then describe to us what changes you wish to make for you. Providing a sketch too could be a big plus!

5. I think that shortcode on the bottom of the page is what was placed there as a test from you or someone else. I assume I can safely remove it?

You mean the [agm_map] in http://dcspecialevents.net/upcoming-events/, is that right?
    You can safely remove it!
    You can learn the use of it in Settings -> Google Maps -> Options -> Change shortcode :wink:

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Dave

Getting some things sorted up with CSS can be useful for you, although, replicating the look and feel of Google Maps website, is something that requires a great deal of custom development which surpass the scope of these support forums. You may want to use the Jobs&Pros section for that.

I am not trying to replicate google map at all it's just an example meaning i would like something more decent.

I think the best approach here would be to generate the map you want with all the appropriate content and settings you want, and then describe to us what changes you wish to make for you. Providing a sketch too could be a big plus!

The settings I make are not taking effect so I cannot generate the map I want. I disabled all plugins except for maps, switched to a wordpress default theme, made changes and still none of them took effect.

Please remember there is more to this ticket than just this last reply.

The client need to see her website tomorrow. Too many delays have come to this.

• Dimitris

Hey there Dave,

hope you're having a beautiful day!

The settings I make are not taking effect so I cannot generate the map I want. I disabled all plugins except for maps, switched to a wordpress default theme, made changes and still none of them took effect.

Could you please describe to me the exact settings you're using, and provide some kind of sketch/mockup with your design? I could then proceed by replicating it in my local end and try to make it work for you (or confirm any new bugs if any).

Please remember there is more to this ticket than just this last reply.

Is there anything else apart from the default location? Please advise! :slight_smile:
    I had a negative answer from a colleague who pushed latest version as he only added the new API input field. Let me investigate this a bit more and let you know as soon as possible.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Dave

Is there anything else apart from the default location? Please advise!
    I had a negative answer from a colleague who pushed latest version as he only added the new API input field. Let me investigate this a bit more and let you know as soon as possible.
    Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Please let me know asap I am not past my deadline but the client hasn't replied to my email yet.

Is there anything else apart from the default location? Please advise!

Pasting my past reply from above here...

I am not trying to replicate google map at all it's just an example meaning i would like something more decent.

Could you please describe to me the exact settings you're using, and provide some kind of sketch/mockup with your design? I could then proceed by replicating it in my local end and try to make it work for you (or confirm any new bugs if any).

I had already stated as an example only referring to Google website but again, just something looking somewhat like that. I thought that the map could be styled without getting too complicated. This is not a very expensive project to do anything on a dev level.

To sum up i want to replace the default map location (Surat, Gujarat, India) with my own location I choose Atlanta Georgia would be fine and I want when someone fill in their directions, I get a better looking layout.

• Milan

Hello Dave ,

Hope you are well today and won't mind me chiming here. :slight_smile:

As my colleague Dimistris said, we need to wait for developer to look here about default location. And for styling, please tell me specific portion which you want to make look good. You can state your requirement this way,

I want to make map border red ( just for example ;) )

Please be more specific on styling stuff and we will see what we can do about that. :slight_smile:

Waiting for your valuable reply here sir. :slight_smile:
    Best Regards,
    Milan

• Dave

As my colleague Dimistris said, we need to wait for developer to look here about default location. And for styling, please tell me specific portion which you want to make look good. You can state your requirement this way,

I was not rushing you just summing up things. Sometimes my wait is very long so I had to shoot a reminder. I am not one of those that have all the time in ihe world to do any projects. I have other things I do that are of equal or higher importance.

Please be more specific on styling stuff and we will see what we can do about that.

You keep asking for me to be more specific but without a visual my specifics might change. When I design I only try out to see what I want to change so nothing is set in stone. So to do a photoshop mock up, description, etc., in this case is really a waste of time or double work for someone who have very little time to work on my projects.

As I keep mentioning a basic layout is just fine if you follow what I am stating above and with the google which again is only an example, then I can always go in and modify as needed.

If I have to do it the way you keep recommending then I will only end up delaying this project even further.

Thanks

• Dimitris

Hey there Dave,

hope you're doing good today! :slight_smile:

I just went ahead and added some CSS rules in Global Theme CSS of UpFront editor.

/* WPMU DEV Staff - GMap plugin - start */
    .agm_google_maps {
    }
    ul.agm_mh_marker_list li {
      margin: 0 !important;
    }
    .agm_mh_directions_container.agm_mh_container > div {
      width: auto !important;
    }
    a.agm_mh_travel_type {
      display: inline-block;
    }
    input.agm_mh_close_directions,
    input.agm_mh_get_directions {
      background-color: transparent;
      color: #69a8a6;
    }
    input.agm_mh_close_directions {
      padding: 10px 3px !important;
    }
    input.agm_mh_get_directions {
      border: 1px solid #69a8a6;
      padding: 10px !important;
    }
    input.agm_waypoint_a,
    input.agm_waypoint_b {
      width: 100%;
      border: 1px solid #666666;
      height: 35px;
      padding: 0 5px;
      position: relative;
      top: -10px;
    }
    /* WPMU DEV Staff - GMap plugin - end */

Feel free to inspect these changes and post back here if more assistance is required on this! :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
    Dimitris

• Dave

I will require some more info from our dev guys on this as it wasn't something that I could easily locate in code for you. I'll keep you posted on this in a future reply of mine.

This is what I am waiting to hear back from you guys on.

I just had some more insights about center map location from our dev guys, and the proposed way of doing so is by using the Center map on location add-on.
    You should be able to use a "center" shortcode argument like

Any centering I referred to was only in reference to the phyisical alignment of the map on the page which appears to be already working a while back. Or please clarify.

• Dimitris

Hello Dave,

hope you're having a wonderful day! :slight_smile:

Let me clarify this a bit more. The workaround proposed doesn't center align the map container in page which is being used, the "center map on location" addon gives you the ability to use something like
    [map id='12' center='45.359,20.412']
    which will center the actual map to the given coordinates (45.359,20.412). It's kind of putting a marker in map, which will center the location to this marker, but without the marker point.

Hope that helps,
    Dimitris :slight_smile:

• Dave

Let me clarify this a bit more. The workaround proposed doesn't center align the map container in page which is being used, the "center map on location" addon gives you the ability to use something like

All I wanted was for the map to be physically centered on the page which it already was a while back and maybe due to some css coding if I recall. Will have to check that later. If this is the work around to this np. If not still no problem I will check that later.

I will require some more info from our dev guys on this as it wasn't something that I could easily locate in code for you. I'll keep you posted on this in a future reply of mine.

But here is what I am focusing on right now. Again, I am still waiting for an answer on this and I do not mean to be repetitive but still no answer yet.

Please know that I do appreciate all your hard work.

Thanks

• Dimitris

Hello Dave,

All I wanted was for the map to be physically centered on the page which it already was a while back and maybe due to some css coding if I recall. Will have to check that later. If this is the work around to this np. If not still no problem I will check that later.

The workaround for this "center align" issue is already surpassed through the CSS rules I applied and more specific by the following one

.agm_google_maps {
    }

But here is what I am focusing on right now. Again, I am still waiting for an answer on this and I do not mean to be repetitive but still no answer yet.

Please know that I do appreciate all your hard work.

No worries here. :slight_smile:
    To overpass this one, you should use the "center map on location" addon as previously described and use the coordinates you need in its arguments like
    [map id='12' center='34.052,-118.243']
    34.052,-118.243 are the coordinates of California for example, You can use a site like http://www.gps-coordinates.net/ to track the ones you need. :wink:

Kind regards,
    Dimitris