1. I have mapping working. Not hard at all
2. I installed the SSL on curatorsoft.com working fine.
3. I can not put an SSL on any of the map domains.
4. Does your mapping plugin require the mapping domain to be parked or added on to the main domain curatorsoft.com?
5. how do other people have SSL on their mapped domains in a WPMU network?
6. as a test I purchased a domain from godaddy, pointed an A record to curatorsoft.com's IP address, added the domain as an aliases domain on curatorsoft cpanel, and mapped the domain in the plugin. works great. Now how do I put an SSL on this domain at Godaddy? Do I need to hosted it somewhere first, put on the SSL, then point it to curatorsoft.com' IP, then add it as an Aliases domain?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Mark,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The SSL certification doesn't depend on Domain Mapping and in fact it doesn't even depend on WordPress itself. Certificates are handled by the server and if only they are working on a server level WordPress (and as a result Domain Mapping) will handle them as well.

However, it's important to note that the certificate that's been issued for a "domain.com" will not work for the "differentdomain.com". This will always cause security warning in user's browser.

I understand that the Domain Mapping (if you exclude SSL on mapped domains from the equation) works well, is that right? In order to cover mapped domains with SSL certification you will need to go for one of following solutions:

1. Multi-domain SSL certificate

This is a single certificate that covers more than one domain. The downside is that all the domains (so mapped domains, including those that will be mapped in future) should be included in a certificate "upfront". Otherwise it will be necessary to re-issue certificate (and update it on a server) each time a new domain is added/mapped.

2. SNI support on a server

SNI (Server Name Indication) is a technique that lets you use multiple single (regular) SSL certificates on a single IP (therefore single hosting accounts). It wasn't much supported in the past but know more and more hosts does support it so I think you could ask your host's tech support if it's possible to use multiple single certificates on the same account/IP on your server. If it is then you would only need to purchase and install certificate each time a new domain is being mapped (cert for that domain of course) and both WP and Domain Mapping will handle that scenario.

If you have any further questions, let me know please.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.