1) after

Hi,
1) after compressing my images several times with your tool, my wp admin says it's fine, however if your website scans it keeps bringing up the image issues... What should I do?
2) I can set the cache expiry, but nothing happens to my real cache, how do I do this?
3) my website is extremely slow, too slow, how can I fix it, once the above is ok?
4) If I would change to your upfront theme, will the shortcodes still work or is that theme related?
thx!

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Jim,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

1) after compressing my images several times with your tool, my wp admin says it's fine, however if your website scans it keeps bringing up the image issues... What should I do?

Google page speed test has two reports for image optimization.

1. Losslessly compressing - This one's is telling that image can be optimized, that's what smushing takes care of, however reports for this that are left on your site are coming from images that are added from external sources, for example images in instagram widget.
    Smush can only compress images from your media library, it's not capable of compressing images that are hosted elsewhere.

2. Compressing and resizing - This tells us that image is larger than its actual HTML holder.

For example the slider under #WHENRESULTSMATTER loads images that are 958x958 pixels but the actual HTML holder of that image is only 185x185 so the image is resized with CSS to fit in that holder.

Unfortunately this is not something Smush can deal with since the theme code is written in the way to call the larger image, and even though the image is compressed google doesn't like loading image larger than its holder, so this is something you need to check with the theme devs.

2) I can set the cache expiry, but nothing happens to my real cache, how do I do this?

Are you referring to Browser Caching in Hummingbird?
    I'm not sure what you mean by "nothing happens to my real cache", can you elaborate a bit more?
    Can you please start new thread for this question since it's not related to initial question.

3) my website is extremely slow, too slow, how can I fix it, once the above is ok?

First thing to take care is the images on your site, the second issue explained in your first question is causing quite a few large images to be loaded while a lot smaller ones should be used.
    You can also use caching plugin for server side caching and make sure that browser caching, gzip compression and minification are also running properly on your site.

4) If I would change to your upfront theme, will the shortcodes still work or is that theme related?

This depends on the shortcodes and where they are defined, if they are coming from your previous theme then no, they will not work on Upfront theme anymore, however if your shortcodes are coming from a plugin and you leave that plugin active after switching themes then the shortcodes will still work with Upfront.
    If you have additional questions about this please start a separate thread for it.

If you have multiple questions like this that are not closely related please open separate threads for them, this helps us keep better track of everything and provide you with more quality responses.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.