1 theme multiple children in multisite

Is it possible to have 1 theme that has multiple children in a multisite environment.
So in essence.
Theme1 can have child_theme1-01,child_theme1-02, child_theme1-03.
My intention is to separate changes for each site theme in the multisite environment whiel still sharing themes.
Thank you for your response

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya archomole,

To answer your question, yes, you can absolutely do this.

If the theme uses theme options to make the changes - you don't even need to have separate themes. The option values are held in each individual sub-site's tables in the database.

You can, however, create a unique child theme for each sub-site and rather than network activating the theme, simply activate it for the sub-site it matches. You'd do this by going to Network Admin Sites>Edit and then clicking the Themes tab.

Hope this helps. Thanks!

• archomole
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks a million this solves it!
    I will prefer unique themes for each sub-site, its easier to track and manage.
    Recently a developer worked on a subsite in my MU and he made changes to theme that affected other sites in network. it wasn't a good experience...

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Recently a developer worked on a subsite in my MU and he made changes to theme that affected other sites in network. it wasn't a good experience...

Ugh, no that wouldn't be fun!

Yep. Keep one theme per site in your case then and you'll be good to go :slight_smile: Glad this helped!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Normally the child theme does contain it's own image called screenshot.png. If that's not in there grab it from the parent theme and just use that.

You can also just role your own. Create an image that is 300 x 225 and name is screenshot.png. It should be in the root theme directory - same as the style.css.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.